Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j_4junk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 10:41 AM
    How long before a person cannot shut the eyes of the deceased?
    Just wondering how long before a person cannot shut the eyes of the deceased?

Thanks
    J
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 11:03 AM

There is only a very brief period during which the eyelids cannot be closed. Particularly during rigor mortis, when the muscles of the body are rigid. After rigor passes the eyes can easily be closed.

Interestingly the muscles of the eye lids are some of the first to be effected by rigor which begins about 3 hours following death.

The above applies to normal time intervals between death, preparation and burial procedures.

Jul 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
    Hmm? Is that the only way? I wonder since my father passed away at a care home, they were able to change is gown to some yellow see through gown? Rigomortis the body limbs still have small movements or is it absolute that you cannot bend the joints?

J
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by j_4junk View Post
    Hmm? Is that the only way? I wonder since my father passed away at a care home, they were able to change is gown to some yellow see through gown? Rigomortis the body limbs still have small movements or is it absolute that you cannot bend the joints?

J
    It's both. Rigor mortis is a gradual process that begins, in the facial muscles, about 3 hours after death but complete rigidity of the limbs, the larger muscle groups, occurs at around 8-12 hours (maximum rigidity). Then the rigidity dissipates gradually over a longer period and sometimes isn't complete for 72 hours.

Your observations are quite possible and likely. Whole body stiffness, the most noticeable aspect of rigor and how many assess it, becomes noticeable at about 5-8 hr range (via increasingly limited flexibility). These times are averages and dependent on several variables but offer a pretty good guide.

If you have any further questions, just ask.

Jul 28, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove name of deceased person from deed [ 17 Answers ]

My parents signed over to their 3 children the deed a small property holding in Missouri some years ago, with all three siblings' names recorded as joint owners. My brother has since died. What is the required procedure to have his name removed from the deed?

CD account of deceased person [ 7 Answers ]

My parents had a joint CD account at one point. When my dad passed away this year, found out that the CD account was in his name only. The original CD was with a bank that was bought out by another bank, and that bank in turn got bought out by another bank. We don't know if along the way, whomever...

Suing a deceased person [ 2 Answers ]

My husband passed away in July 2007. His will was probated in December 2007. Can he still be sued?

3 week old kittens eyes is shut [ 1 Answers ]

My three week old kitten's eye is shut... there is no discharge and the eyes was open the other day... she is also shaking a lot... please someone help because I reallt don't have money for the vet

View more questions Search