Ask
    scooley38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 05:39 PM
    10,800 BTU unit will blow but not cool air what could be the problem
    10,800 BTU unit will blow but not cool air what could be the problem
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
    It could be either the t-stat, the capacitor, or the compressor. It could also be a burned wire. You have to use a meter to test the individual parts to find out what is going on. DrTom4444
    scooley38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Can I recharge the unit myself
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2011, 12:40 AM
    There is no need to recharge a sealed unit unless it was damaged and then you need to repair the Freon line that was broken. There is no indication that this is the case; it is most likely an electrical problem. You cannot recharge a unit without an education in HVAC. DrTom4444
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 28, 2011, 06:00 AM
    If you can hear the compressor start and it isn't getting cool, the charge is probably low or completely gone. You don't indicate an age of the unit. It needs to be recharged by a LICENSED refrigeration tech.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
    If the charge is gone there is a leak which must be repaired. True, if the compressor runs but it is not cooling it can be the charge, but it can also be that the valves are bad in the compressor which results from the unit not being cleaned yearly. DrTom4444
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    There are times when a freon charge dissipates. Not necessarily a large leak. Auto A/C units do this quite often when the weather is extremely hot... Have it service by an appliance tech...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Our outside AC unit is blowing cool air. Does this mean our outside unit is shot? [ 1 Answers ]

Our outside unit blows cool air out with the compressor seemingly not working - then the compresser kicks in and hot air comes out of the unit. What's going on with the unit? Is it about to totally die on us?

Payne AC unit not blowing cool air... Also, fan not spinning on outside unit. [ 3 Answers ]

Payne AC unit not blowing cool air... Also, fan not spinning on outside unit. Is there a reset button or a way to check the power for the outside unit? Please help. Heat wave in California :/

C&l unit,total elec. When heat is on.. at night blow cool air an does not heat home [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in my home now for 6mths and my unit is brand new. During the day unit heats my home but at night when the temp has dropped it blows cool air and does not heat the home. What is wrong with it? My air conditioner works fine... it's just the heat.

How can I diagnose why my A/C unit does not blow cool air? [ 1 Answers ]

It is blowing air that is semi cool but not cooling the house. I changed the filter 2 weeks ago but the thermostat said it was time to change it again. I changed it and the one being replaced was filthy already. It was a 3 month filter. Whay could be the problem and how do I check for the problem?...

View more questions Search