Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelmon2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Terminating rights
    I have a very similar case but I have no idea where he lives nor have I received any money since birth, my children are 6&7 now. Would that qualify as abandonment? And what happens if the court can't find him to sign the papers?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2011, 03:33 PM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Second, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

What papers are you talking about? If you are referring to an adoption, the court won't look for him. The court will require that YOU make a good faith effort to find him. You will have to prove to the court that you have tried. Your attorney can tell you what that good faith effort means.

You generally cannot use abandonment, especially not to just get his rights terminated. But you should have an attorney to prepare the adoption petition. Your attorney will advise you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 08:20 PM

Yes each state has its own laws ( assuming you are in the US) but merely abandoning the kids is often not a reason to take rights away, ( but could be part of a entire list of other issues)

You will have to meet all of the courts conditions for searching for the bio father ( or fathers)

It will be a longer and a much more costly case when you can't find the father. And you will need an attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating rights [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the same boat about it except the fact is mine wants his terminated and he hasn't had anything to do with the twins in 18 1/2months. I am in the state of Ky what can I do?

Terminating Parental Rights without terminating obligation [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a father's parental rights can be terminated without terminating his support obligation. I live in Georgia and have sole legal and physical custody of our daughter. At this moment, my exhusband owes me over $45,000 in back child support. He hasn't had any contact with our 12...

Terminating rights [ 4 Answers ]

yes hello my name is tara williams and my best friend told me that even though I have a pfa on my x and he has not seen my son in 6 months in a row and he does not pay child support I can legally take he rights even though I am not yet married again is that true and how do I go about doing it?

Terminating Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida and would like to know what rights I have to terminate my ex's parental rights. He is already court ordered not to see my daughter. He was in prison for 7 months. My daughter was with him and saw him while he was using "meth" and other drugs. Do I have any chance at terminating...

Terminating his Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 16 months old and she does not know her biological father. He hasn't been around and he does not pay child support or help me in any way. My fiancé has been taking care of her and wants to adopt her when we get married. I am 17 and her father is 19. What can I do to get him to give...

View more questions Search