Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plockwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Nightmares of deceased husband
    My husband passed away 1 1/2 years of horrific brain cancer... he was bed ridden the last 8 months of his life... We had a great marriage and relationship for 30 years... I am now dating someone who I am in love with... Ever since my husband's death, I've had this reoccuring nightmare that my husband did not actually die... even though he is alive, he is not well... sometimes he is in certain forms of decay, but he is alive and well... During this dream I have to chose between my boyfriend, whom I love, or my beloved husband, whom I know will need a lot of care, because of his condition... In the dream I know I have to chose my husband because it is the right thing to do, even though I am in love with someone else,who is healthy and vibrant... it's very disturbing and leaves me upset and unsettled for days.. please help... I know I took excellent care of my husband, who was disabled mentally and physically... so why am I having these nightmares...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 05:31 PM

You have not let go yet. Maybe its to soon, and you feel guilty for moving on so quickly. Hard to let go of something you had for 30 years.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Jul 31, 2011, 01:01 AM
    I'm only really commenting here to tell you my heart goes out to you darling. I bet that was difficult to deal with.

The reason we dream is because subsonsciously things are on our mind. I would agree that you're possibly not over it.

Don't be scared you're doing the wrong thing. Your husband would want you to be happy.

X Dani G
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2011, 03:21 AM

You went through a very difficult time nursing your husband and then watching him die, that leaves a mark, a mark that will never go away.

It takes time to come to terms with the loss and I'm betting in those dark days you never thought you would find love again, but you have and that's a good thing, you deserve happiness.

Loving another man does not mean you love your husband any less, notice I say love not loved, because I'm sure you still love him.

Some people find talking to a grief counsellor helpful, others don't, if you feel your ready and want to talk to someone perhaps your ready now to face that time and heal.

Your dreams are not uncommon and many others can relate, taking time to examine those dreams and what they mean to you is important to bring the message into your conscious mind and dealing with the feelings they are causing.

The mind is an amazing thing,often after the death of a loved one we cannot remember whole sequence of events around that time until we are ready to deal with it, maybe now your dreams are indictating that you are ready to deal with an aspect of that time.

Writing out the dream in as much detail as you can may be helpful or drawing a picture of the dream,write down the feelings of everyone involved in the dream beside the figures, you may wonder how can you possible know the feelings of others in your dream, the thing is its YOUR dream, YOU place the feelings on those people, the purpose of this exercise is for you to see how your feeling in the dream and then work out why, surprisingly the answer is often staring you in the face, then you can start understanding and accepting the dream and start moving forwards.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2011, 06:25 AM

I think you are conflicted, perhaps feel guilty on some level, perhaps it's survivor's guilt. I'm a widow who remarried - my husband was a widower. We've both faced the various issues involved when you lose your partner.

My suggestion? Face your dreams when you're awake - sort out things, perhaps with someone who will listen to you, come to terms with the situation when you're awake.

The dreams will go away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend is still in love with her deceased husband [ 7 Answers ]

Recently I looked at my GFs Facebook, while I was at her house, because she leaves it logged in and doesn't log out when she's done. I saw that she had her deceased husbands FB page still there, and she has been posting to it quite often. I saw that just last week she had left a post on his wall...

Can you collect Social Security from deceased husband? [ 0 Answers ]

He passed away in 1975- and I never tried to collect SS. Is it still possible?

House deceased husband [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am contacting you on behalf of a friend who's husband recently died. She and her husband owne a house but she has been living in temporary accommodation and her husband has been living in their house alone. Three weeks before he died he changed his will and left his half of the house to...

Immigrant Husband Adopting Deceased Man's Child [ 9 Answers ]

My child's father died in 2006. I met a wonderful man from England. He moved to Michigan to be with us. We are now married and awaiting his adjustment of status (green card) approval. He wants to adopt our son. How should we proceed? Do we need to wait for his green card? Citizenship? Can we do...

Liable for the debts of a deceased husband? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband, John, just passed away from a stroke few weeks ago. Aged 73. I am now trying to live my life with only one annuity that he purchased for me few years back. One of his credit cards has balance of $7,000 owed. Am I liable for it? Will annuity go into his estate? Thank you for your...

View more questions Search