Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirljane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
    While expressing EtG as a ratio to creatinine is not affected by dilution.
    "while expressing EtG as a ratio to creatinine is not affected by dilution. " I am also confused about this statement. I below you stated the persons drinking incident was long enough before the test to not be detected and he shouldn't have to worry about diluting. My question is what if the drinking incident was within the time frame and would drinking a lot of water help or would the EtG still show up in a dilute specimen. A lot of places that test consider a dilute test tampering and some even consider it a positive because of that. But I have been hearing lately that even if the urine was dilute - there would still be EtG in it if you had been drinking within the time frame.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2011, 01:09 PM

First, most laboratories do not report EtG as a ratio of creatinine (U100EtG). Rather, they use the fixed value of +/-20 creatinine as a test for sample validity; under 20 is considered dilute and any reading above is considered normal.

When expressed as a ratio creatinine is assumed to be 100 and EtG is calculated as a % ratio from that value. If the actual value of creatinine is above 100 it would result in a proportional reduction of EtG reading, when below 100 it has the effect of increasing the EtG value.

These are two different approaches. One is a simple cutoff, the other a means of interpretation using 2 related values. The basis of the interpretive method is founded on the fact that urine concentration influences EtG content. More concentrate urine artificially increases the reading while a more dilute urine decreases EtG.

The U100 method is certainly simple enough to figure when the creatinine is reported quantitatively. It can be done by anyone following the test so long as both values are known (and providing the person reading the test actually understands it). Why it isn't standard practice eludes me.

Dr. Greg Skipper's website explains the U100 method in more detail as well as providing the method for calculation. It also contains the latest update on this test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG/EtS ratio question... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi DrBill (and anyyone else kind enough to provide answer), My question is about the EtG/EtS ratio relating to common testing cut-off levels. EtS cut-offs are commonly set at 1/4 of the EtG cut-off, but the only study I found regarding this ratio (Hoiseth, Bernard, et al. 2007) seems to indicate...

Financial ratio limitations - current ratio and debt to equity [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem which is as follows; Contracts with lenders, such as bonds typically place restrictions on the financial statement ratios. Two commonly used ratios are the current ratio and the debt-to-equity ratio. Why is it that these appear as restrictions, that is, do they protect the...

Urine Dilution [ 1 Answers ]

I only have one kidney and drink water all day I have went for numbers of drug screens and every one of them comes back diluted. This is effecting my case with my children I have taken mouth swabs and passes I have also request to have a hair test they told me they do not pay for them. Please Help!!

Dilution equation [ 1 Answers ]

If you diluted the 0.50 M(molarity) sample to a final volume of 250mL, what is the new concentration of the iron (II) bromide?

View more questions Search