Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shoelessmonster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 09:47 AM
    How can I connect a DirectTv box into very old TV with only one rf output?
    I hope that made sense because I really need some help. I just broke my new TV yesterday and had this oldie (still works) in my garage.
    Is this even possible? And the cable thing that goes into the rf output is coming from the wall into the direct TV box, so I don't know how this is going to work.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 09:51 AM

May work but probably not due to the fact analog tv's must have the converter to NTSF signal. Might have to fix your TV or buy a new one.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 01:18 PM

You say your Direct TV has an output and TV has an Input, I don't see the problem?

Jul 25, 2011, 02:20 PM

Well right now the direct TV is plugged into the wall if I unplug cable from wall and put it into TV instead, will that still work? With nothing plugged into wall?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 03:15 PM
    The cable coming from the wall needs to go into the DTV box like it is now. If the box is an old enough model, you should have some sort of RF output from the box that you can attach a cable to that should be able to go into the input in the TV.

As it is, I have to assume that the set-up you were using on the newer TV probably had an HDMI cable going to the TV or maybe red, white, and yellow RCA cables from the box to the TV. Your box may or may not have the single RF output and the TV you're using now may or may not have the RF input. It's really tough to direct you without actually seeing the equipment in question.

Jul 25, 2011, 03:51 PM

Than what do I do to connect the directtv box to the TV?

Jul 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
    You were right, it had an hdmi cord. It didn't have the red white yellow cords though. Just the hdmi going into TV, cable going into wall, and power cord
    Entomology Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 03:58 PM
    I really don't think this can be fully and accurately answered without us knowing the exact equipment you have. Age is going to play an important part. Some newer boxes won't have an RF output and will simply have either RCA jacks or HDMI jacks I believe. Depending on the age of the TV, you could have an RF input (may say "Coax input" ) or possibly an additional set of RCA jacks. You could try to Google the different output types I have mentioned so you can see what they look like and compare them to what you have on your equipment and then maybe you will have a better idea of what you need. Of course, as Twinkie mentioned, there is a possibility that it may not work at all.
    Entomology Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Ha! Sorry, I was posting my answer as you posted yours. Ok then, if the box only has an HDMI cable coming out of it into the TV, then it is very unlikely that an older TV will have an HDMI input. In that case, there is nothing you can do (that I am aware of) other than to get another TV or fix the one that broke.

Jul 25, 2011, 06:26 PM

Yea, it doesn't have an hdmi input.
    Thank you though! Now I know I should stop trying and wasting my time.
    I appreciate the help!
    :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2011, 05:32 AM

If You have Direct TV from the wall, You HAVE Satellite, and NEED a Satellite Receiver.
    So, out of wall to Sat receiver, out of Sat receiver to TV, What is not correct?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2011, 06:27 AM
    If the box does not have the RF coax output, and that is all your TV has for an input, then you will need what is called an RF Modulator. This converts the yellow, white, red signal into an RF coax signal and outputs usually to channel 3 or 4.

Otherwise if the box you have has an RF coax output, then you can just run from the wall, into the box, then out of the box into the TV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bypass frigidaire filter - can I simply connect input and output hoses together? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire Side-by-Side refrigerator with a water filter (pure source 2) in the upper right side of the frig. It leaks, air gets in the line and causes loud knocking sounds and the replacement part is expensive. I'd like to bypass the filter unit by simply connecting the input and output...

How do I connect Dish receiver output to cable wired at home? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I am currently getting Dish Signal to my main TV and I want to share the same signal to my bedroom. However, I do not want to put a splitter and run a cable through my living room to bed room. Instead I want to find out if I can somehow send the Dish signal out of the receiver to a cable...

Connect DirectTV box to VCR and HDTV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DirectTV box which I am trying to connect to a SONY VCR and an HDTV. I have all the cables installed but I am unable to view a CD on the TV. I do not see an IN or OUT connection on the SONY VCR since there is only one set of connectors. I already have an HDM cable from the DirectTV box...

Connect 2 hd TV sets to one hd direct TV receiver with one hdmi output [ 1 Answers ]

How can you connect 2 high def TV sets with hdmi inputs to 1 direct TV high def receiver with 1 hdmi output? I understand that both TV sets will be receiving the same programing and will be using the direct TV remote control for both TV sets. The 2nd TV is in the bedroom some 40 feet away from...

How to connect two switches in same box [ 5 Answers ]

I need help determining how to wire a double gang box that has four wires coming into it. It will contain two switches, one switch will go to a ceiling fan, and the other to a recessed lighting fixture. The box is in the middle of a circuit, as the power source comes from one receptacle in the...

View more questions Search