Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miki81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2011, 03:33 AM
    Can I sue a psychatric hospital for violation of my minor sons patient rights?
    My 13yr old son was admitted to a psychatric hospital on a 51/50 on 7/20/11. Everything went as normal (not his first visit to a psych hospital) talked to the doctor about his medications and at the time I was not home to look at his medication bottles so when she was reading off the milligrams of one medication I told her that could be right but I was not really sure so I was told it if was wrong to call the nurses station and they would inform her of the right milligrams. When I got home to his medication bottles a nurse had called me to get consent to change a medication I told her I wouldn't consent. Then I was transferred to another nurse to wittness that I wouldn't consent at that time I let the nurse know that he was to get 40mgs less of a medication then what the doctor had and she was to let the doctor know and then she would have to call me to consent to the change. This was at 333pm I called back again at 536pm and it had not been told to the doctor at 1145pm I got a call from a nurse about another medication I then asked if the doctor had been told about the wrong milligrams of the other medication the nurse told me she knew nothing about it that it and my son was given 80mg of a anti-psychotic at 9pm when he should have only got 40mgs. She said that she was going through **** change and would pass it on the next shift leader and they would call the doctor first thing in the morning. Countless calls were made to the nurses and the doctor was never told and the change was not made in my sons chart for over 24 hrs. Then I get a call from my son on 7/21/11 telling me that he needs to take a shower but they won't give him soap. He suffers from encoprisis (poops his pants) I called the nurses station told them my son needed soap and a change of clothes and that I couldn't be there to get him clothes until 7/22 at 6pm I was told it would be taken care of. I show up to visit him and he is in the same clothes he was taken to the hospital in on 7/20/11 the smell that he has was so bad I couldn't stop gaging. I told the nurse that his clothes needed to be checked if nothing else just 1 pair of underwear and some shorts and he needed soap to shower because he had be sitting/laying/sleeping in his own fecal matter for 3days I was told he couldn't shower till after visiting hours and he would then be provided with clothes and soap. At 9pm I called to see if he got his clothes and soap and still at that time he didn't have his clothes or soap. By 930pm he was given clothes but no soap.mind you he had asked for soap countless time since he was admitted he didn't tell them he had an accident in his pants but you couldn't miss the smell so its not like they didn't know. On 7/23 I went to visit again he was in clean clothes but still smelled bad I asked if he had showered he said yes but only with water they still didn't give me any soap. So now 4 days without any personal hygiene products being issued to him. I went back to the nurses spoke to the charge nurse about this issue and the medication issue. Was told after your visit the house sup will talk to you, Finally 7:15pm on the 4th day of his admission he was given shampoo/body soap, toothbrush and toothpaste. And the medication situation was taken lightly I was told that the 80mgs was with in the "Safe Range" for his age and size, oh wait there is more. On 7/24 at 10am I get a call from my son crying cause he had another accident and his room was locked and he couldn't get to a shower or clothes. When he asked the nursing staff about getting a shower and clothes he was told "your room stays locked till 7pm then you may get to the shower and clothes" so they expected him to sit in his own fecal matter again for 9-10 hrs. Then he proceeds to tell me that there was a situation the night before and he got scared and hid under a table and a staff member grabbed his wrist and ankle and pulled him out and he hit his head on the way out. And that he had fallen in the shower the night before and hurt his knee and was waiting since 8pm the night before to see a doctor for his knee. The table insident: he was seen by the charge nurse under the table the charge nurse talked to him made sure he was OK and told him he could stay there until he felt safe but everything was OK. So he had the OK to stay under the table till he felt safe to come out, He wasn't hurting himself or anyone else a tech came along and because he wouldn't get out when she asked once she grabbed him and pulled him out. Seem no one wittnessed this since none of the other staff knew anything about it. And when I personally qestioned this tech about what happened she was very rude about it. No matter what if my son was not hurting himself or others they don't have the right to lay hands on them. The doctor situation well he waited a full 24hrs from the time he fell to the time a doctor came to check him out and that was only because I called the house sup and complained at which time I learned she was not even notified of fall or the incident with the Tech laying hands on my son. Only good thing that has come out of the countless calls and complaints is that now my sons room is unlocked at all times so that he can get to clothes and shower and he will ni longer spend days in gis fecal matter. All of this is a major violation to his patient right not to mention neglect. He has no physical injuries except a bump on the head and a brusied knee the 40mgs of medication over what he was suppose to get didn't call him to get sick or overdose. But the emotional damage is so visible. Is there a case here or is a patient getting neglected and their rights being violated over and over to hard to prove to even have a leg to stand on? If this is what has happen to my son in the 5 days that he has been there makes me wonder what is happening to the other kids that their parents don't care enough to speak up for their child.Please help me I have complained as much as I can at the hospital and seem to get no where.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2011, 03:38 AM

If your sons didn't get what you feel is the proper care, then consult a malpractice attorney. Even though this seems to be a violation of the patient bill of rights, I believe it comes under malpractice. You need an attorney to subpoena the records immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As a patient, can a hospital make me stay? [ 31 Answers ]

What are my rights if a hospital tries to make me stay but I want to leave?

Violation of patient rights [ 46 Answers ]

Hi, I recently gave birth in a hospital via c-section. I was administered potocin without my knowledge or consent and I feel my rights were violated. IS there any legal action I can take. I know that hospital have a time out rule that before any procedure/medicine is given to a patient they are...

View more questions Search