Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedeej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Medical bill debt
    What if I am served papers to appear in court for medical bills and am on disability and cannot pay due to my limited finances. I can barely make my living expenses, which keep going up. Much less, travel so far to go to court. What if I don't appear in court, what will happen?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 04:31 PM

You lose by default. You have to appear before the judge to present your case. You have had a summons delivered to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 05:36 PM

What do you mean, travel so far to go to court, are they not filing against you in the county where you live ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2011, 06:20 PM

They will win by default. They will then attach any assets you have. It never makes sense to not show up for a court hearing.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deedeej View Post
    What if I am served papers to appear in court ...
    First, are you required to physically show up in the courtroom for trial, or merely to file a written answer to the complaint? If it's the latter, you can do it by mail. And if it's for a trial, you might be able to arrange this by telephone too, if need be.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2011, 05:03 PM

File an Answer stating you are on disability. That income cannot be garnished. BUT your assets can be garnished so I'd show up even if you file an answer so the Judge can hear your side of this matter. Make arrangements to get to court even if you have to pay somebody to take you. You will lose more if you don't show up as they will win by default whih will cause you more grief in the end to stop them from seizing your assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Bill [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Northern California. I got a car accident in February 2005 and was taken by ambulance to the local hospital. I have medical insurance with Kaiser Permanente, which has paid my medical bills from the hospital I was taken into. 3 months later I got calls from a collection agency in...

Can an employer ask about medical background based on a past due medical bill? [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer question the nature of a medical bill or your medical background based on a past due medical bill on your credit report?

Medical Bill [ 14 Answers ]

I was left with a bill close to $2000 in 2006 from testing done at a hospital that my insurance did not cover. I called the billing dept. and explained all I could pay on both tests (seperate bills) was a total of $50/month. I was out of work for almost 2 years due to health issues, but...

View more questions Search