Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monalexi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
    Yellow Lab is constantly panting heavy, burping, and pacing.
    I have a 6 year old female yellow labrador (spayed) and lately she has been panting a lot, and acting as if she has either a hairball stuck in her throat or just can't catch her breath. Also, some days she will just lay on her bed most of the day and other days she will pace around like she is either stressed or antsy. I live in the desert so naturally this time of year is very hot outside, but our house is air conditioned which is why the panting concerns me. I must also add that she weighs 80 Lbs. and I know she is overweight somewhat, but when I try to exercise her she tires very quickly. Even walking up a flight of stairs takes her breath away. Is this a serious issue for the vet, or is this something I can try to remedy at home?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 01:20 PM

If I were in that kind of distress, I would go to my doctor. Please take her to the vet. She may have congestive heart failure or who knows what else. Only a vet visit will tell you what's wrong.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 01:52 PM
    I second the getting her to a vet, way to many things that could be going on here. But she is in obvious distress.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 24, 2011, 04:43 PM
    First, I wouldn't recommend you 'try' anything before finding out just what is the problem. A six year old, 80 lb Lab that can't seem to catch her breath, and tires easily on mild exertion. And she burping a lot. Hmmm.

My first thought is a heart problem such as a leaky valve leading to early heart failure?

If you were anywhere but in the desert, really in the desert, with NO mosquitoes around, I would also throw in heartworms as a possibility,. plenty of HW in Phoenix and anywhere there is enough open water to raise a few mosquitoes. Produces the same signs as heart failure.

Also, most anywhere in Arizona, especially in the dusty, desert areas, Valley Fever is also a possibility. It is a fungal infection caught by inhaling spores to the fungus that are found in the desert soil and carried by the wind, especially Haboobs. Fairly common in dogs living in So.California and Arizona. Not a heart problem, but usually a lung problem. (and not really much better).

As to the burping... with as much panting and swallowing as she is doing, her throat is undoubtedly quite dry, and she is most likely swallowing a lot of air, which is coming back out as burps.

These are just a few suggestions, based on the organs that usually are involved in causing signs such as hers. May not be what's involved, but certainly enough signs to warrant a vet visit before trying to diagnose by process of elimination. An accurate evaluation of these symptoms is what you pay your vet for.

Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My lab/border collie mix heavy breathing/panting and excessive water consumption. [ 12 Answers ]

My almost 6 yr old female Lab Border Collie mix has had in my mind a problem recently. At times she will pant and breath very heavy and she consumes large quantities of water at times, much more than I see our Lab male drink. She has also taken to barking while in her crate at night at weird...

Dog panting heavy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a six year old doxie. She has always ridden in the car with me from the time she was born. She has a soft carrier that she goes every where in. Just recently she has started panting heavily just as we get started like she is very hot but it is snowing outside. She is also shaking like...

Yellow lab [ 2 Answers ]

I adopted my dog a year and a half ago and was wondering the best way to determine her age. Also, she's starting to get gray wiskers around her mouth and chin -- how early does that happen? Thanks!

Bad habits of a yellow lab. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1yr old male yellow lab and he has some habits I can not break. 1) he eats poop, I have tried cleaning it up but he gets to it before I do, I have changed his food and tried forbid. 2) he jumps on everyone.its like he is a kangaroo 3) he barks for attention and then when you give it...

View more questions Search