Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Jul 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
    How can I monitor background internet usage?
    Hi I am wondering if anyone knows of a program or way that I can get a list of what programs are using the internet in the background on my machine?

My laptop is using over a meg of download speed when I have nothing running and am wondering why and how, ty in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2011, 03:14 PM

Use Task Manager and check out all the running apps and processes.
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Jul 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
    Yea I have done that but I need something to specifically tell me what programs are eating up my download speed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2011, 04:21 AM

Once you obtain a list of processes that are running, research them. Starting with the ones that are taking the most CPU time. Plug the process into Google and see what they are and what they do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I gauge my internet usage? [ 8 Answers ]

I have just switched internet provider and have plan with unlimited usage and I have apparently used 76gb in 11 days.Both my son and I have laptops I use mine for emails downloading the odd film (about to a week) and YouTube (approx 1/2 hour per day) My son speaks to his girl on skype every night...

Internet Speed Monitor [ 3 Answers ]

Ive got a really good pop-up blocker and spam blocker program. But all of a sudden Ive been getting tons of pop-ups. At the bottom of the window, no matter what the pop-up is about it says "INTERNET SPEED MONITOR". I literally leave my computer on for an hour and leave, I'll come back to 17+...

I want to check the internet usage history on all comps in my house that use my wifi [ 6 Answers ]

I have a guest staying in my house for a couple of days. They will have access to my wifi. I would like to know if I can contact my internet provider (comcast/Xfinity) and get the history (even if deleted) for my wifi network? Or if I can do this on my computer?

Internet Usage Calculator Prorgam [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to write a program that calculates a person's internet service bill. I am having trouble in two major areas: The first is that there are three packages the user is instructed to pick, A, B, or C-How do I tell the program to terminate if one of these letters isn't picked? ...

Software to Track Internet Data Transfer & Usage [ 17 Answers ]

I want to get a free software to manage my ADSL connection at home, which will tell me the amount of data transferred while I am on net, both sent and received. It will also keep monthly records on each time log-in basis, so that I can get my usage data. It should be absolutely a freeware, as I...

View more questions Search