Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hardcandy300 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 10:43 AM
    Central Ac unit not cooling house!
    Hello, I am having issue with my AC. We have had the guy over here many times to add freon and look at the unit, he always says nothing wrong. I know it is extremely hot outside and we don't have any big trees for shade but what could be wrong with our unit. I changed the filter inside and I made sure all the vents are properly open(they only feel cool).. The outside unit is running and I haven't seen any water leaking from it.. can someone help me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2011, 11:01 AM

If I called for service many times and the unit STILL didn't work properly I'd be back on the phone, calling again. Or I'd get a second opinion.

However - your unit leaks outside?

Has anyone checked to see the temperature of the air blowing INSIDE the house? Check the vents, see what that temperature is.
    hardcandy300 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Our unit isn't leaking and we looked at the unit outside and under the house to make sure everything is working right.. I just didn't think the temperature outside could affect the way our house is.. everyday it seems to be getting worse.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
    Depending on your ductwork location, the outside ambient temp has a major influence. Are the ducts in the attic or a cooled basement? Crawlspace. Is the house cooler in the mornings and evenings? This is a common question in the hot summer months. There's probably nothing wrong with your AC BUT, without any trees and possible less insulation than should be, the attic radiates a tremendous amount of heat to the ceilings and your AC can't compensate. Make sure you have at least 12" or more of insulation. Put some trees on the west side of the house. Use ceiling or portable fans to move the inside air around. Make sure you have good attic ventilation. If the ambient temp is 100 degrees, the BEST you can hope for is 22 or so degrees across the coil. In that case 78 is all, and that doesn't include a lot of solar load which you apparently have. Black roof?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Conditioning Unit Not Cooling [ 9 Answers ]

Last night my temperature was set on 77 degrees on my Central AC towards the end of the night, the house started getting hotter, I looked at the AC Thermostat and it read 83 degrees in the home and it never cooled off. This morning it still read 83 degrees and still warm and I turned the Central AC...

Central unit not cooling house [ 5 Answers ]

Central a/c unit is blowing cool air. I set ac to 70 at night it cools to 70 in the day the temperature goes to 78. It is a little cool but I start to sweat a little. Last year the outside temp was 100 and I would set my ac to 73. That temp was cold cold. This year it is not working the same. ...

Central a/c unit -not cooling service man filled it with feon but still not cooling [ 7 Answers ]

I have a kenmore 3 ton 14 series unit. At night it cools good but day time it goes to 80 degrees. The compressor had a leak so the service man filled it up. Wasn't the service man suppose to change the dryer on it? The hose outside is not even cold and in the house it blows a little cool air but...

I have a central ac unit system. The cooling works but the heater doesn't run. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a central ac unit system in an apartment. Heating doesn't work,(NOT GAS OPERATED). Just hear a click sound on the inside part of the system when I switch the thermostat to the heating position but nothing happens.I also switched it to fan position but just air comes out but no heat. I wonder...

AC Unit not cooling whole house [ 1 Answers ]

The landlord just put in a brand new AC unit and it works great except for one of the bedrooms isn't getting cool. It's a 9 x 10 bedroom. The master bedroom which is a lot bigger than the room that isn't cooling and it gets very cold. This doesn't really make sense since it is a smaller bedroom...

View more questions Search