Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Topcat99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2011, 06:09 AM
    Reset button
    Where is the reset button on the Whirlpool ACM082PS air conditioner (window unit)? Or is there another way to reset it? Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 23, 2011, 02:45 PM

Never heard of a reset on window unit. May be one but I have never heard of one.

What's the problem?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2011, 09:47 PM
    I know of no reset button. What is the problem? If you can describe what happened we may be able to help you. DrTom4444
    Topcat99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    After several years of working fine the unit just stopped. I cleaned it as best I could but - nothing. I did notice that the last two time I turned it on it tripped the circuit breaker. There is nothing wrong with that particular outlet, because I can plug other things into it and they work fine. Maybe it's just time to get a new unit.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2011, 08:07 AM
    The only way to know what the problem is will be for you to use a meter to first check the compressor. With unit unplugged carefully remove cover on side of compressor where you will see three wires plugged onto terminals. Those three wires are common, start, and run (label them!). See if any wires are burned or shorted to ground. Measure the resistance between all three terminals and from each terminal to ground. Any reading to ground means the compressor is bad, as does an open reading between any two terminals. The readings will be the lowest between common and run, next is common and start, and highest-the total of the two above is- between run and start. If the readings are okay it still could be that you have a stuck compressor if you have never cleaned this AC unit and it froze over with ice from being dirty. They need cleaning at least once a year. Next, check the capacitor that is wired between start and run on compressor. Sometimes you have a capacitor that is a two-in-one meaning it has three terminals-one common and one for the compressor and one for the fan. Check between the two going to the compressor and your meter will read resistance and then go to infinity; switching leads in reverse will do the same. If it does this it is usually okay. If it has no resister soldered between the leads and reads low ohms it is shorted out, if open and reads nothing it is bad and that will also blow your breaker because the compressor cannot start. Now, if the compressor is turned off at t-stat and the ac still blows the breaker you have a bad fan motor or capacitor. If you can fix it make sure to oil the fan motor. Let me know what you find. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reset button on compressor [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a reset button on the compressor for a Goodman 13 SEER 3 Ton A/C unit? My fan runs but the compressor doesn't come on. I've been running the heat for the past week but was using the a/c until then. Thanks, John

State Select electric water heater, reset button will not reset... HELP! [ 0 Answers ]

Our old water heater finally quit. We were given a 3 yr old State Select electric water heater and my husband is installing it. It seems the reset button will not reset. There is power to the top element, but when he checks the bottom element... no power! The reset button seems to be unable to...

Where is the reset button on my a/c? [ 1 Answers ]

The thermostat was changed and he didn't turn it off first. It is a kenmore a/c, can anyone tell me where to look for the reset button?

Reset button [ 1 Answers ]

I was replacing the front cover and touched a wire and got a spark then the air or heater fan would not work the unit is a carrier without a pilot light it has the glow light I am trying to find the reset button please help

Reset button keeps needing to be reset [ 2 Answers ]

The reset button on our oil furnace needs to be reset every 10 to 14 days. What can be the problem? We are leaving for the holidays and I'm concerned that we could come home to frozen pipes.

View more questions Search