Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    softballchica02 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
    I have an issue...
    I made a new friend this summer playing softball. She is pretty cool and we get along great. A couple of nights ago she told me that she was a lesbian. I told her that I wouldn't judge her for it and it wouldn't ruin our friendship. She seemed all right with it and I was fine until last night when she told me that she seriously loves me.
    I don't know what to say. I'm not like that but I don't want to hurt her feelings about it. She's been through a lot. I don't know how to handle this situation without ruining our friendship because I really like her, as a friend though.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 21, 2011, 11:06 AM

Tell her you love her as a friend, but that's the limit of your love. She will understand -- but then, how old is she?

Jul 21, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    She's 16
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 21, 2011, 11:09 AM

Be firm and don't flirt or give her any reason the think you are playing games. Just be her friend.

Jul 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Thanks. I'll try that
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 21, 2011, 11:18 AM

Set good boundaries. Be firm and fair, but always be kind and pleasant.

Jul 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
    How can I set good boundaries?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 21, 2011, 11:46 AM

Good question! I just started reading a book called Boundaries by Psychologist Henry Cloud.

Use simple, direct language.

When setting boundaries, there is no need to defend, debate, or over-explain your feelings. Be firm, gracious and direct. When faced with resistance, repeat your statement or request.

Back up your boundary with action. Stay strong. If you give in, you invite people to ignore your needs

Jul 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
    All right, thanks!
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2011, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Good question! I just started reading a book called Boundaries by Psychologist Henry Cloud.

Use simple, direct language.

When setting boundaries, there is no need to defend, debate, or over-explain your feelings. Be firm, gracious and direct. When faced with resistance, repeat your statement or request.

Back up your boundary with action. Stay strong. If you give in, you invite people to ignore your needs
    Nicely done.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 22, 2011, 11:34 AM

You nailed it Wondergirl, and I can only add the right thing to do is not always the easiest, but it is the best way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a sinus issue or an ear issue? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I get an earache almost every single time I catch a bug, so this doesn't really worry me, but it's getting quite irritating and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly is going on: I have been kind of sneezy, but not sick. Figured it was allergies? First, my inner ear (left...

I have an issue [ 2 Answers ]

What normally happens to a person who is being sued for not paying off a credit card? I made every payment until I was in a near death accident.Now I am disabled.I contacted a company to get all my cards consolidated,but this card wouldn't allow it.I fully intend on paying them,but at the present...

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Who issue W2? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Work summary: - Worked in a University for Jan and Feb 2006 - Worked on CPT (training) with a company from March till 1 May 06 - Worked on OPT with same company from May 1 to Dec 1 06

View more questions Search