Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arendyl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 06:19 AM
    I have two operating systems, ubuntu and windows xp. How do I get rid of windows xp?
    I recently installed ubuntu onto my computer, and I no longer need windows xp. Xp seems to be hogging the memory so I can't download much to ubuntu. Is it possible to completely remove windows xp from my computer and just have ubuntu, or does ubuntu run from xp, because I can delete ubuntu from Xp's control panel. I really don't care if I completely reformat my computer, just any way that's possible, I just want to have ubuntu as my only operating system. How can I make that happen? Thanks for your help.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Best way forward would be to completely start from scratch, format your drive and install ubuntu on a clean machine.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 06:40 AM
    You could delete the XP partition then use Gparted to resize the partitions. Sometimes killing the Windows partition does a number on your bootloader (GRUB I think?) so have a another internet connected computer nearby to diagnose any issues with that.

Jul 21, 2011, 07:51 AM
    J

Jul 21, 2011, 07:52 AM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    Could you tell me how to do that?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 11:16 AM
    You'll need to delete the partitions that you don't need to get then to the Unallocated Space status, then you can use Gparted to resize your main partition into that space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I upgraded from ME to XP how do I get rid of windows ME operating system [ 4 Answers ]

I upgraded from windows ME to XP now my computer's slow how can I get rid of windows ME

Ubuntu or Windows [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone has used Ubuntu, I'm tired of windows crashing on me all time,

Windows 2 Hard drives/ 2 Operating Systems [ 8 Answers ]

I installed Vista in a 200 Gig Hard Drive with all updates, pulled the hard drive. Then Installed a XP Pro SP3 on a 40 Gig Hard Drive. Now I want to hook up both on same machine, have both set for Cable Select when it boots, it can operate on the XP, and it see the Vista drive and files and...

Windows 2 Hard drives/ 2 Operating Systems [ 1 Answers ]

I installed Vista in a 200 Gig Hard Drive with all updates, pulled the hard drive. Then Installed a XP Pro SP3 on a 40 Gig Hard Drive. Now I want to hook up both on same machine, have both set for Cable Select when it boots, it can operate on the XP, and it see the Vista drive and files and...

Windows operating systems [ 2 Answers ]

I received a new Dell computer for the holidays and am not happy with the Windows XP Home operating system that came on it. I have a hard drive that has Windows 98SE and would prefer to have it on the system. What is the best procedure to follow to change the operating system on a preconfigured...

View more questions Search