Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 08:55 PM
    line of intersection of two planes
    The line in which the planes
    x + y + z = 9, and
    2 x - y - z = 3
    intersect, is
    3 x = 12 (or x = 4)... Is that true of false?

so what I figure out that the line for these two planes to intersect is line[t]={4,5,0}+ t{0,3,-3} = {4,5+3t,-3t}

So from these on can I separate them out and say that the line in which the planes intersect is x = 4?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jul 20, 2011, 09:18 PM
    In three dimensions, x=4 doesn't describe a line. It describes a plane. Based upon your calculations it's clear that the line of intersection does indeed lie within the x=4 plane (since x will come out to 4 regardless of what value of t you use), but that's not the same as saying "The line in which the planes ... intersect is x=4". Therefore, I'd say the answer is false.

If it said "The plane in which the two planes... intersect", on the other hand, I'd say the answer was true.

Do you agree?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Find a Line and Plane Intersection Point [ 5 Answers ]

Question: Find the point of intersection of the line containing the points (3,2,1) and (4,3,3) and the plane containing the points (5,4,2), (3,1,6), and (6,5,3). So confused as how to do this particular one, can anyone help at all especially working out, have tried but getting confused? :o/

Probability - intersection and union [ 7 Answers ]

At least I think that is what I should do. We are working on probability and I am completely confused. We were given the following practice problem but I am lost most of the other problems gave more information. I have no idea which equation to use. I have looked at this problem for a while and...

Can you change planes in 30 min? [ 4 Answers ]

OK so, this summer my family and I are going to canada. We live in Ohio so we are flying out of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. We r flying Continental Airlines. So we could not get a non-stop flight so we are first going to fly to Houston. ( I know not exactly near Calgary, Canada. But,...

2 Planes Traveling in different directions. [ 9 Answers ]

Original Problem: Two Planes leave simultaneously from Chicago's O'Hare Airport, one flying due north and the other due east. The northbound plane is flying 50 miles faster than the eastbound plane. After 3 hours, the planes are 2440 miles apart. Find the speed of each. So what I know is East...

Ww1 planes [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone tell me how much a Fokker Dr. 1 plane cost in ww1. I need it for a History class please help. Ive looked all over and can't find the answer:(

View more questions Search