Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmyjubilee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Crown/root canal
    I had a tooth ground down for a crown which then needed a root canal after the grinding. The first part of the root canal was fine. After the second visit, when filling the canals, the pain was intense and did not go away. Dentist gave me a shot of inflammatory medicine during which he hit something that cause severe pain and made my face swell up. All of this was in my head according to my dentist. Several weeks later he put in the permanent crown. After a few weeks, the area became sensitive and the gum around the crown in inflammed. The top of the crown is black. The pain has been going on for several weeks now and although it isn't horrible pain, it is a dull pain and when the tooth is pressed on makes it worse. My dentist has given up on me and wants to send me to have the tooth pulled. Can anyone help save this tooth?
    Fianchetto Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Sounds like you have an infection.

Tooth decay is an infection itself. Bacteria infect the surface of the tooth enamel (no nerves = no pain). They chow down into the soft dentin (no nerves = no pain - just the feeling of the rough edge of the carie (cavity)). Then when they get to the root of your tooth (the nerve there gives you a toothache)

solution for the first two problems is a simple "drill & fill".
    solution for the third is a "root canal" into which is placed a "post and crown" replacement for a single tooth, a "Bridge" for multiples.

solution for all three is take routine dental care seriously and see your dentist BEFORE the pain drives you there

So, you may need to see if there is indeed an infection and get some antibiotics or whatever treatment your dentist reccommends.

If you try to say your dentist caused your infection, he will say you came into his office with an infection, one left untreated for months. Just because he uses sterile technique doesn't imply or impart sterility to you.

If your afraid of needles or dentists, its still your fault for not being seen sooner.

If no money, is it worth toothpaste + annual checkups to avoid this from happening again? You'll only have to do it at most 31 more times.
    A clean checkup will be ~$100 in my area. A checkup and remedy for the root canal ~$600-~1200 (not to mention the pain). Loss of the tooth... Priceless
    renee78 Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
    I don't know where to start with this ridiculous,uneducated answer. The person who originally asked this question has every right to be annoyed. I can tell from your answer that you have no dental knowledge, therefore it is extremely remiss of you to offer it.
    Im not going to address the comments made, as they are so far off the mark and don't where to start, but I will say that if the question asker would like some real dental advice, please to not hesitiate to ask me directly.

Feb 4, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by renee78
    I dont know where to start with this ridiculous,uneducated answer. The person who originally asked this question has every right to be annoyed. I can tell from your answer that you have no dental knowledge, therefore it is extremely remiss of you to offer it.
    Im not going to address the comments made, as they are so far off the mark and dont where to start, but I will say that if the question asker would like some real dental advice, please to not hesitiate to ask me directly.
    Thanks for the feedback to me, but the idea here is to answer HIS QUESTION, rather than my response. I do appreciate your feedback, but must admit, I've not always been the tops at "sugar-coating" the plain truth. Besides he has enough dental woes without the added sugar in his diet. Perhaps with your input, (Maybe you could address my previous reply, point-for-incorrect-point and we could both (original post and myself) learn something useful).

Feb 5, 2007, 01:54 AM
    I offered my advice in a personal message to the question asker. Did not think from his last entry that he would be frequenting this site again.

Feb 5, 2007, 03:20 AM
    I'll take it that you both disagree with the blunt directness of my post but, after searching and researching it I find no discrepancies with fact or current practice in the field.

I hope you provided him with something useful.

Thanks for "setting him straight"

Feb 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
    1. Decay is not an infection, it is disease
    2. The term for decay is Caries, not "carie"
    3. Once decay has penetrated the enamel, it reaches the dentine which is 3 x softer than enamel (then it usually mushrooms whilst leaving the enamel intact for a period, so it is difficult for someone to know that anything is amiss).
    4. If the caries is not detected in time, it reaches the pulp or nerve (not the root, that is tooth) and the pulp becomes necrotic, thus causing inflammation at the apex of the tooth and therefore pain.
    4. The fact that this person required an RCT does not necessarily mean that it was caused by deep caries (the tooth could have been that heavily filled over the years and inadvertently the pulp could have been affected, depending on whether it is a front tooth, pulpitis can be caused from trauma)
    5. Just because a tooth is root treated, does not mean that A. it requires a post or B. that it requires a crown. A lot do yes, but not all and in this persons case, the tooth was planned to have a crown first, the RCT was incidental.
    6. Multiple crowns are not called a bridge, they're called multiple crowns. A tooth that has been lost and is replaced by a crown on either side with a "pontic" in between, is a Bridge.
    7. Just because this person required a crown and then an unplanned RCT, des not mean that his oral hygiene sholud be thrown in doubt.
    8. Whilst most RCTs are very successful and cause the pateint no other issues, some do fail, or require more treatments than is usually necessary. With most things, you can never guarantee something 100%, but around 80-90% success rate with RCTs
    9. I am speaking with 10 years dental experience, and you are speaking with... Google?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Root canal after permanent crown [ 4 Answers ]

Just found out that I need a root canal after my permanent crown has been put in. My bottom left far back molar had cracked requiring a crown. The tooth which had a filling in it looked good with no decay when the dentist prepared the tooth for the crown. After two weeks with the new crown, pain...

Gold crown then root canal [ 1 Answers ]

My dentist did a gold crown on a molar because the existing crown was damaged. I was having sinus and jaw pain at the time. The pain didn't go away with antibiotics( on the side of the crowned tooth. ) My primary Dr had me do a cat scan etc, but that was clear. He told me to go back to my Dentist...

Crown lengthening and root canal [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal done on my first upper back molar and it was sore for a few days after it was done and even after that it was never completely normal. It felt a little like its root tips inside the bone were a bit strange - not achey or pain- just a little weird. Two months later, I have...

View more questions Search