Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caseman76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Enlist now or go officer?
    I really want to be an officer, but I haven't even began college yet and I do not feel like I can wait 4 years to go into the Marines. I want to be in the Marines right now so I am feeling a strong urge to enlist, but I hear that enlisting first is not the best thing for someone who wants to be an officer. I know about the MECEP and all the enlisted commissioning programs but I hear that chances of being selected for it are not very high. I also kind of want to feel the camaraderie that enlisted Marines feel. I know officers are not allowed to hang out with the enlisted so I feel like if I was an Officer I would have no friends. Although I get really excited when I think about being the leader of a platoon of Marines. I got pretty good grades in high school but I feel like it will be hard for me to focus in college when all I want to do is be a Marine. I'm not really SUPER excited for the whole college social/party experience thing either. I like going to parties once and awhile but I am no party animal. Another reason I want to enlist is because I want to get out into the world right now, see new places, and be on my own, instead of living with my parents, or in the same state even. So I guess I am just kind of torn between sticking it out for 4 more years and trying to become an Officer (which is my main goal), or just going in now and hoping that I eventually get selected for MECEP. If I went to college now I could probably get around half of my college paid for through PLC, but the rest would have to be paid for through loans. I guess I am just looking for any Marines or Marine Officers, or anyone who knows a lot about the Corps that could give me some advice.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 11:18 AM

One option to consider: go to college on an ROTC scholarship, which can lead to a commission as a 2nd lieutenant in the Marines upon graduation. See:
    Education ROTC Marine Corps Options | USMilitary.com You actually enroll in Navy ROTC (since the Marines are actually a branch of the Navy). In ROTC you take a normal college course load plus some additional military training, and spend summers on assignment.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 20, 2011, 11:37 AM

Marine Corps University.

Look into going to a Military University, where you will be a cadet in school, and your professors are officers and civilians working side-by-side.

My uncle is a lieutenant colonel at West Point and from what I hear, going to Military University is way worth it and it pays off.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

On a personal note, thank you for your desire to dedicate your life to our country. I'm proud of you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Parole officer & Probation officer [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between Parole officer & Probation officer? If anybody know about this, please let me know.

Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !

Should I still enlist before sentencing [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, So I am possibly facing a felony theft charge! It is my first time I have no priors of any kind. I spoke with the detective working my case, he's an extremely cool guy who seems sincerely intrested in helping get the best out come. I had already admitted to the left to my employer prior to my...

I want to enlist but I need to know how to get. [ 7 Answers ]

I want to enlist but I need to know how to get my civilian life in order. I want to know what to do about car payments, student loans, etc. I wanted to go into military service when I graduated out of high school but I was young and unsure now I know that I want to enlist I just don't know what to...

View more questions Search