Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    st07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 09:16 PM
    Traffic accident - financial responsibility (CA)
    This is the scenario. I currently have my learner's permit, but no license. I own a car - gifted to me recently by my sister. I could not get car insurance because I don't have a license. While driving my car, I hit another vehicle. My sister previously owned the vehicle. The insurance is still under her name, although ownership has changed. I am an excluded driver under her policy. Recently, I received a notice from the DMV to provide evidence of insurance (FORM SR1A) otherwise my license will be suspended. I have several questions:

1. can my license be suspended if I don't even have one? Does that mean I won't be able to get a license for a year or longer?
    2. I did not have insurance myself at the time, but the vehicle was insured. Does that count? Should I fill out the form with her insurance information as it does cover the vehicle.
    3. what is the worst that can happen in this scenario?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by st07
    1. can my license be suspended if i dont even have one? does that mean I wont be able to get a license for a year or longer?
    2. i did not have insurance myself at the time, but the vehicle was insured. does that count? should I fill out the form with her insurance information as it does cover the vehicle.
    3. what is the worst that can happen in this scenario?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
    Hello st:

(1) Yes/yes.

(2) Liability insurance covers the driver. Comprehensive covers the vehicle. YOU had no liability insurance. Your sister did. The state doesn't care whether your sister (you) can fix HER/your car. They're interested in your liability coverage, and YOU ain't got that.

(3) You'll pay to fix the car you hit AND your own car. While, as previously explained, comprehensive insurance covers the vehicle, it will only do so if being driven by a licensed driver. YOU ain't that! If they haven't ticketed you for driving without a license, they could do that. AND, of course, you'll have to pay the fine for driving without insurance.

Here's the part you didn't bargain for. You are guilty of insurance fraud, already. That's a felony. If you follow my advice exactly, they MAY not find out about it. IF, however, you fill out that form, or try to have the car fixed under the fraudulent policy, you'll go to jail.

Yeah, being a lawbreaker is expensive.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Website traffic [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best way to get FAST website traffic without spending a fortune on pay per click?

Traffic Ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi,this question involves getting a speeding ticket,and when the officer drove off he did not ask me to sign the ticket,is this ticket a vaiid ticket now,as I have the green copy with out my signauteur on,so there will not be a signature on the white copy,I live in the state of Washington,thank,s

Traffic light again [ 2 Answers ]

So I managed to get my hands on this traffic light and I posted orignianlly about how I might go about getting them to flash in some specific order. Now I just want them to flash randomly. Each of the 3 lights has its own hot wire and then there is a neutraul wire connected to all three. I just...

Traffic light [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to re wire a traffic light and I'm wondering how I get it to switch back and forth between the red green and yellow lights. I don't need them to go in order and I would like about 2 seconds between each light. Any help would be great thanks.:)

Traffic incident [ 7 Answers ]

I recently backed up into a car slightly. I didn't think anything of it so I left. The police arrested me but did not read me my rights and they still handcuffed me and took me to jail. My insurance has lapsed but I know it was my fault. Also, these other people I think are trying to claim they...

View more questions Search