Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DMCGEE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 05:42 AM
    White westinghouse dryer.
    I have a electric dryer that will not start. I have 0 resistance on themostats, and door switch. I tested the timer with volt ohm meter. With the meter set at 200k and the meter leads connected to the black wires on the motor of the time the meter reads 2.5. It reads the same in the off position as well as in normal dry. Does this indicate that I need to replace the timer? Model WER211CES0. THANKS
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2011, 05:29 AM
    The wires that supply the timer motor with power should read about what you found. It should read 2.5 kilo-ohms which should have a load of about 96 milliamps. (volts/ohms=amps) Is the timer closing the contacts? If not you need a new one. Try bypassing the contacts with a jumper wire by unplugging two wires from timer hooked to contacts in timer. One wire will be common with one wire to timer motor. Usually this is done with a little copper piece that slides over terminal. The other wire will be plugged onto a terminal by itself. Use your meter to see where the wires go by checking between power cord and wires you are checking. Don't wire in a short between the two hot wires. By using a meter you should be able to find the problem. If turning the timer knob does not close the contacts and jumping out the two wires that plug onto it makes it run when you plug it in briefly then you need a new timer. DrTom4444
    ChrisPolk Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2011, 06:53 AM
    From this model you have described I would definitely look into replacing the timer. Now depending on how old the unit is, and if you can successfully install the timer yourself, you should be able to do the repair cheaper or more cost effective than looking to replace unit or even hire an outside technician. Try to contact the manufacturer to see if you have a limited warranty on the unit or its parts, and go from there.

Chris Polk
    Online Outreach Representative
    Find me on Twitter @ChrisPolk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White westinghouse dryer lost power [ 1 Answers ]

Work fine then no power

White Westinghouse Dryer Belt keeps breaking [ 0 Answers ]

I have an older White Westinghouse dryer. It has worked for over 8 years just fine. Two months ago the drum quit turning and I had to replace the belt and the idler pulley. The belt was stretched and frayed and the ilder pulley had slipped completely off and fallen onto the wheel that is turned by...

White-westinghouse electric dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Our white-westinghouse electric dryer, model # DE700EDD5, quit heating. My husband checked the wiring and found that one wire had melted and it broke off in his hand, so he rewired it. Now we are getting heat, but very little. This dryer is one we bought refurbished about 4 months ago from a...

White Westinghouse dryer will not stop [ 2 Answers ]

I have a White Westinghouse dryer that ran and ran on the last load (for way too long but we failed to notice it). Is there a sensor or something that is most likely busted? Thanks Dan

Squeaky White Westinghouse Spacemaker Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm really hoping that someone can help me. We have a w/d White Westinghouse combo, model number WLC271HW0 and it has recently began making this awful high pitched squeaking noise. I've been reading similar posts on the site and much of the info has been very helpful but I have no idea how...

View more questions Search