Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuisCamacho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
    Condenser runs for seven seconds then shuts down?
    System runs fine when thermostat is bypass (out of system) installed honeywell heatpump system starts runs for seven seconds then shuts condenser off. Low voltage ?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2011, 05:14 AM
    You need to put a meter on it to find out what is really happening. You cannot guess at these things. It could be a bad coil in the contactor or low voltage to the contactor causing the amperage to go up and drop out coil. I have never seen this happen in 35 years doing this work, but you see something new every day. Check between R and Y on t-stat and between R and Common and let me know what you find. Also, remove coil wires from contactor on outside unit after turning all power off and read the ohms across coil and see if it reads to ground. If the coil reads low ohms below 1 kilo-ohm then it is shorted between some of the coils which is common on some units. A power surge can cause this to happen, or just age. Another problem could be that a safety like a low or high pressure switch is opening and dropping out power to contactor. See if it has safeties installed on Freon lines near compressor. Let me know what you find.(Safeties have two wires and are wired in series with supply voltage to contactor coil.) DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My top loading kenmore washer runs for 10 seconds and stops for 5 minutes and runs ag [ 0 Answers ]

My top loading kenmore washer runs for 10 seconds and stops for 5 minutes and runs again for 10 seconds.

Heater comes on runs8 seconds shuts off; restarts for 8 seconds ;stops; restarts [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced 24 volt control xformer; new sequencer;elemets check good. What else to check?

Furnace runs for a few seconds then gas shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old janitrol furnace the kind you have to ligh the pilot then turn the knob for tha main burners to come on. The problems is when I light the pilot it stays lit, then I turn the knob and all the burners light up and it goes for about 10 seconds then its like you went to the gas shut off...

Pump runs 10 seconds and shuts off [ 6 Answers ]

Pool pump runs 10 seconds shuts off and comes on a few minutes later and the samething runs a few seconds and shuts off? It's a 2 hp sta rite pump nothing clogging the impellar spins freely any ideas thank you

A/C shuts off after a few seconds [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday, our A/C shut off and would not come back on. It shows on the digital thermostat that the fan is blowing cool (two different icons that appear and move) but the unit is NOT on. After leaving it off for the afternoon, my husband was able to turn it back on, but this lasted 30 seconds...

View more questions Search