Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skylude52 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
    When shopping for a used car, what criteria are most important? I am wondering...
    When shopping for a used car, what criteria are most important? I am wondering how much weight I should put on the mileage, number of previous owners, carfax reports, and/or maintenance records. From my experience carfax reports don't really tell you all that much. I know the lower the miles the better, but just because a car has low miles doesn't mean it is a good buy. In addition taking each car I look at to the mechanic could get expensive. Also if I do take them to a mechanic what exactly do I have him check? Compression, smog check, and what else? In addition I'm in a new area and don't know any mechanics so how can I find a good mechanic to assist with this process? I'm in the LA area if that helps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 02:34 PM

You call the auto club and ask for referrals. Then WHATEVER you are interested in buying gets checked out by THAT mechanic.

I do investigations and Carfax only lists what is reported to Carfax - and that is not everything!

Low miles do not mean a "better" car. A car that's been sitting has sludge for oil (among other problems).

You tell "your" mechanic you are interested in buying and ask for an overall opinion. It will cost up front but save in the long term.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Damage in Parking Lot by Shopping Cart [ 8 Answers ]

I went for shopping to Wal-****. I was inside Wal-**** when the incident took place. After shopping, I saw that the shopping cart hit the rear of my car and damaged rear bumper cover. I talked to store manager and was confirmed from the parking lot video that the Wal-**** shopping cart hit and...

Shopping cart hit someone's car [ 17 Answers ]

My Mother returned an empty shopping cart to the store front, and the cart started rolling because of high winds and hit someone's car door. Now she wants me or my Mom to pay for it. I didn't see this whole thing because I was already in my car. My Mother doesn't speak much English, and she...

1st Car, An I Was Wondering [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a subaru impreza, and I was wondering if I can get it inspected before it is registered with the state or if I have to do it the other way around. And what do I have to get to drive this car after I buy it, cause I have to take it to get plates, should the person I buy it from have...

Wondering if a defroster can run without car compressor [ 1 Answers ]

I am very unknowledgeable when it comes to cars. My mom owns a 1998 Toyota Camry. Recently the A/C stopped working and she took into a mechanic. They indicated that her compressor was shot but one mechanic said she could still use the defroster. However, we had a nasty rainstorm and when she turned...

View more questions Search