Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jul 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Dog has had diarrhea for 3 days
    Hello,
    We adopted a dog (4.5 yr old shepard/golden mix) on Saturday. She was fine when we brought her home, but the next morning she started having diarrhea and it hasn't stopped since then. We have been mixing the food they were giving her with the new food (science diet). She hasn't really eatten much of the dry food at all, so I have been giving her boiled chicken so at least she'll eat something. She had a vet exam on Friday before we got her and they said everything was fine. Is it normal for the dog to have diarrhea for this long (she's going every hour or so)or could it be the stress of a new home? She's been pretty happy I think(she always wags her tail). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 08:26 AM
    Sat - Tues could still be adjustment to your home.
    Don't give chicken or any treat-type foods apart from his kibble, mix it in.
    A traditional dog food for diarrhea is boiled rice and lamb, but you could wait a bit.

Where did she spend her first night? Something about it might have alarmed her and set this off. If a crate, put it next to you for a week or two. Don't put her in a room all alone.

Jul 19, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    She spent her 1st night in our room we put 2 different dog beds on the floor. She didn't really sleep the 1st night though, she paced around the room and we were taking her out to go the bathroom every hr to an hr and half. Last night was the first night she slept almost the whole night through, she woke up at 4am, but went back to sleep after going outside.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 12:21 PM

You said you're mixing her old food with the new. What amount are you mixing? It's very important to start small, and then work your way up, when introducing new food. That, and the adjustment to a new home, her age, etc. etc. could be causing the diarrhea.

I'd put off switching her food for a while. Let her get used to being with you first. It's just too much too soon. Get her settled, then introduce the new food, and start slowly, 1/4 new with 3/4 old for a few days, then up it to 1/2 and 1/2 and so on. But wait until she settles.

If she's eating, and seems otherwise healthy, it could just be that she's having a hard time adjusting, but, anytime there's a change in behavior (which you really wouldn't know since you've only had her a few days), eating, or bowl movements, the vet is always a good idea.

We can guess at what's going on, and it's an educated guess, but, if this isn't just an issue of adjusting to a new home and new food, the vet is still your very best bet, and better safe then sorry.

Congrats on your new family member. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 12:40 PM

Did you get her from a rescue, animal shelter, or private individual? Can you contact her previous caretakers to find out if other animals in their care are having the same symptoms?

Who is the 'they' who said everything was fine? Do you have her medical records?

I will admit that I believe in taking a new dog to my own vet within a couple of days of bringing it home even if I know the complete history of the animal.

Another thought with adjusting to a new home is also adjusting to the water. Does her previous address use the same water supplier you do or are either of you on a well?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 01:06 PM
    So she's adjusting...
    It sounds like you know the right ways to make her feel at home.
    The ol' Baby Ben (ticking clock) worked when we were kids and got a puppy. They might still sell them.
    A stuffed animal, even if she chews it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    So she's adjusting....
    It sounds like you know the right ways to make her feel at home.
    The ol' Baby Ben (ticking clock) worked when we were kids and got a puppy. They might still sell them.
    A stuffed animal, even if she chews it.
    That would work for a puppy, but this dog is 4 1/2 years old. I doubt she misses the heart beat of her mother and litter mates.:rolleyes:

She's just adjusting to a new home, new surroundings, new people, and new food.

Jul 19, 2011, 06:08 PM
    She finally started eatting dry food tonight, and the diarrhea has seemed to stop since early evening. Thanks for the help!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 07:51 AM

Sorry I missed this, but glad to hear every thing is starting to get back to normal, or what will be normal! I just want to say thank you for rescuing this lucky dog, I commend you for choosing the adoption option. I also wanted to note, that one of the members said not to feed boiled chicken, but chicken is a perfectly suitable substitution as a boiled dinner for an upset tummy or diarrhea issues.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 07:54 AM

Water is always an issue with our rescues, great questions Cat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

28 Month old Vomiting and Diarrhea for 24 days [ 7 Answers ]

My 28 month old daughter has been vomiting and has diarrhea for the last 24 days. I have taken her to her pediatrician, an allergist and to the E.R. and all I keep hearing is it's okay, she probably just has a virus. She is not running a fever. She has lost weight. A stool culture was done, and it...

Diarrhea&mucus stool on dog [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is almost one year old. She started having diarrhea 2 days ago, and it has mucus in it. Luckily she acts really normal and active. I took her stool sample to the vet for test today, they told me the result was negative and she had no worms. I already put her on diet today but her stool...

Dog with bloody diarrhea [ 12 Answers ]

My beagle is vomiting, has bloody diarrhea, is drinking water but is not eating. What could be wrong?

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

My dog hasn't eaten for days [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10month Shepard terrier mix who hasn't eaten for 10 days. He isn't depressed, actually he still wags his tail when he sees us. We took him to the vet but that was no help. All they did was give us some antibiotics but he still won't eat. Is there anything else I could do?

View more questions Search