Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dktesnear1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Hot water when cold tap is first turned on
    When we turn on the cold taps in kitchen or 3 bathrooms (sink and bathtub/shower), very hot water comes out for about 2 minutes until it cools down enough to wash hands, get a glass of water, etc. We have also had to replace the kitchen faucet due to it dripping and leaking around the bonnet. Two of the bathroom sink faucets have water leaking around the base of the cold water tap when the water is turned on. I have replaced two aerators that broke as well. I have a used washing machine that replaced my former one that had problems with the transmission and other issues that made it cheaper to replace with a used model. I am not sure when the problem started with the hot water, but it has been going on for some time. Also, we used to run out of hot water really quickly, so my husband's friend who is an electrician adjusted the temperature setting on the water heater to make the temperature hotter. It seems like the problems started after that, but not immediately after the temperature was reset. We also have a commode that was leaking and have had to shut off the water supply to it until we can replace the wax ring. I am wondering if our problem could be the pressure regulator. One shower had to be shut off as well due to a broken pipe. That same shower had a diverter valve issue for a few months which caused the shower to not have as much pressure and a small stream of water to flow through spout even with diverter set to turn on shower. We also hear a sound like the toilet is refilling at various times of the day and night even when no one has used the toilets for some time. I know this is a lot of detail, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to include all of this information.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 08:30 PM

You need a good plumber real bad don't you.

A couple of questions before I start guessing.

Feel the cold water input pipe to the water heater. Is it hot after no water has been used for a while.

Open a hot water valve and let it run for a couple minutes. Then open a cold water faucet. Do you get hot or warm water out the cold water faucet then? Is the cold water input to water hot or cold.

Any other plumbing work been done? Not talking about faucet repairs.

How old is water heater?
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jul 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Geez, you need a plumber!

Do you have one of those hot water recirculating things installed with your water heater? Sometimes, if hot/cold pipes are run close together with one of those systems, it can cause the cold water to become warmer.
    Just an idea.
    dktesnear1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
    Comment on Kyle_in_rure's post
    I don't think we have the hot water recirculating things installed with our water heater. I am really thinking it is a crossover problem maybe with the washer. I had to rethink which faucets run hot when cold tap is turned on, and I checked the one in the master bath, and it does not run hot when cold is turned on. That faucet is closer to the water heater and the supply that enters the house. The washing machine and the other faucets are all farther down the line than the master bathroom. How can I check to see if the washing machine is responsible for this problem? Also, my hubby tries to fix things himself when I can get him motivated, and he rarely gets anyone to come do anything -- probably a pride issue. This is why I have not called a plumber yet as well as the fact that it will most likely cost an arm and a leg to get the repairs done. Thanks for any guidance you might offer.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 08:46 PM

To eliminate the washer as the problem, shut the washer supply valves off for a day and see if the problem still occurs. Also, any single handle fuacet may cause this issue if the cartridge is malfunctioning. Shut off stops under sinks one at a time to see if it solves problem. Once you find the culprit, you will need to replace the cartridge in that fuacet.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jul 21, 2011, 03:47 PM
    Comment on Kyle_in_rure's post
    I'm not a plumber so I really don't know. Someone else might though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My tub cold tap drowns out hot water even when only turned a little? [ 3 Answers ]

I get good pressure and everything. But when I turn my tub hot tap on everything is fine but if I also turn on the cold even a little it drowns out the warmth of the hot water right away. Faucets are taps (seperate one for cold and for hot) with a pull out stick thing to activate shower head.

Cold water OK in kitchen tap but no hot -mixer tap [ 3 Answers ]

No problems with tap which is a mixer in kitchen, suddenly no hot water but cold water coming out OK. Could this be a build up of lime? And how can I fix it?

My problem is, I have water from the hot tap but not the cold tap.Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My heating is from a Baxi Combi Boiler. Direct mains Feed. I have hot water from the tap in my kitchen but there is no water coming out of the cold tap. My bathroom supply is fine as is the water to the toilet. Why is there no cold water from the kitchen tap.

When I turn on the hot tap the water runs hot then cold hot then cold [ 0 Answers ]

When I run the hot tap, the water runs hot then cold, hot then cold. The boiler ignites when the tap is turned on but then goes off and on, off and on while the tap is running. I have a ravenheat LS80(T) combi boiler

I only get hot bath water when cold tap in sink is turned on why? [ 0 Answers ]

I had a problem with boiler not operating during hot water demand. Central heating is fine. I switched off boiler for a minute and switched it on again and got continued hot water from Kitchen and bathroom sink and for a while in the bath. But after a while water in bath turned cold. Now I can...

View more questions Search