Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortcake122162 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
    Being Sued: Can they garnish my SS and Disability?
    I was in a car accident in October of 2010 and at that time nobody was hurt. Now I find out that they are trying to sue me. The only income I have is $36.00 in SSI and $660.00 in Social Security Disability. Can they take my monthly income if they win the case? Thank you for your help. Oh, I live in the state of Virginia and yes I had car insurance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 04:21 PM

Hello s:

Let your insurance company handle it. That's WHY you pay them.

In any case, your income is safe from garnishment.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2011, 04:21 PM

So you refer the case to your insurance carrier and let them take care of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 05:09 PM

Correct, you don't talk to the people who are suing, I would assume they could not settle with insurance first time. But be sure insurance knows about the law suit so they can either settle or have an attorney there to fight it.

They will pay if there is any ruling against you.
    shortcake122162 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thank you for your help and I will do what you said you have taken a lot off my mind and I feel so much better.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 06:10 PM

Once you get served with the paperwork, immediately contact your carrier and ask who do you send this to. And send it certified return receipt requested so you know they got it okay. And once you get the green postcard back, call them to make sure it's literally in their hands to follow up on. Don't just give to your insurance agent.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 08:24 PM

SSI and SSD can only be garnished by the feds so you are fairly safe. Like the others have told you, have no conversation with the person who filed suit, let insurance handle this. You did not mentin this but were the police involved and an accident report completed? Did you notify your insurance company of the accident back in 10-10
    helpless_43103 Posts: 5, Reputation: -2

Jul 20, 2011, 05:34 AM
    Your SS is safe from being seized from a lawsuit. If u have OTHER assets, from any source besides SS, that can be seized, but your bank will only give them money if you have $250.00 in there. Banks will not take money unless you have more than the $250.00, besides SS & SSD.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpless_43103 View Post
    Banks will not take money unless you have more than the $250.00, besides SS & SSD.
    Hello helpless:

Once it's IN the bank, the bank doesn't know where it came from... Plus, they'll take it ALL. They WON'T leave you with $250. I don't know where you get that from.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Your SS is safe from being seized from a lawsuit. If u have OTHER assets, from any source besides SS, that can be seized, but your bank will only give them money if you have $250.00 in there. Banks will not take money unless you have more than the $250.00, besides SS & SSD.

Please post where you got this information - it is not familiar to me.

Perhaps it varies by State - but we don't know where the OP lives.

I also find it odd that is contrary to what you claim your Attorney told you on this thread - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...pt-578211.html
    helpless_43103 Posts: 5, Reputation: -2

Jul 21, 2011, 06:03 AM
    I was sued too in June 2011. I called an attorney & he advised me to do nothing because I only have SS, they can't touch that money. Then I called my bank who told me the SS is exempt, but other assets besides SS can be seized, but there has to be over $250.00 before my bank will seize it from creditors. Hope that helps you out.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
    I was sued too in June 2011. I called an attorney & he advised me to do nothing because I only have SS, they can't touch that money. Then I called my bank who told me the SS is exempt, but other assets besides SS can be seized, but there has to be over $250.00 b4 my bank will seize it from creditors. Hope that helps you out.
    Hello again, helpless:

You have been told that your information is BOGUS. I don't know WHY you want to put out CRAP. I don't know WHY you want to LIE to people who are in trouble. Why don't you go away?

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, helpless:

You have been told that your information is BOGUS. I dunno WHY you wanna put out CRAP. I dunno WHY you wanna LIE to people who are in trouble. Why don't you go away?

excon

He can't even get the same bogus information correct twice in a row -
    Deborah8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 15, 2011, 01:36 PM
    Yes, the bank does know where your SSDI comes from. It states it on the bank draft and it is my understanding, they are not allowed to release that amount to anyone other than the disabled person.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah8 View Post
    Yes, the bank does know where your SSDI comes from. It states it on the bank draft and it is my understanding, they are not allowed to release that amount to anyone other than the disabled person.
    Your understanding is incorrect. Once the funds are deposited in the account the bank has no way of determining the source of those funds. If they receive a writ of execution,e bound by law to honor it. The only way to avoid this is by prior notification to the bank that the only source of funds to that account are from exempt sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can PA child support garnish social security disability [ 4 Answers ]

If I receive social security disability and it is my only source of income, and puts me below the poverty level - can child support garnish for the $15,000 I owe in arrears? I just got them to modify to stop accruing monthly payments since I haven't worked in over a year, but once I get this money...

Can you garnish disability funds for back alimony? [ 3 Answers ]

Ex wife already garnishes my unemployment - now I'm on disability - can she garnish that also?

Can the IRS garnish disability from social security? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe the IRS about 40 grand. I had 3 strokes recently and have applied for social security disability. If approved for disability my monthly check would be about 1800 dollars. What can I do to keep the IRS from my meager check?

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search