Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    austexceilings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Metal 2 pvc is there a way
    I'm trying 2 install a water filter off my water line coming into the house. They tell me it needs to be installed before it goes any farther than when it comes in the house. The problem I'm having is the house is all metal screw pipe. The big question is will pvc glue to it or screw to it or any suggestions without calling the plumber and getting it done all in new screw metal pipe?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 08:49 AM
    The filter needs to be inside your house after your main shut off. If you don't have a shut off inside you may want to call in a plumber. Shut of you water and drain down the house by opening a faucet at the lowest level. Find a convenient location with plenty of room to work and install the filter. You will need to change the cartidge once or twice a year so allow space. Cut through the galvanized water pipe with a hacksaw or reciprocating saw/metal cutting blade. Unscrew the two pieces you just cut through and discard. You can plumb the filter with galvanized pipe bibs or switch to PVC. Do not expect to glue PVC to galvanized. It will give you some bad surprises. Since the house appears to be galvanized you may just stick with that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by austexceilings
    im trying 2 install a water filter off of my water line coming into the house. They tell me it needs 2 be installed before it goes any farther than when it comes in the house. The problem im havin is the house is all metal screw pipe. The big question is will pvc glue to it or screw to it or any suggestions without callin the plumber and gettin it done all in new screw metal pipe?
    You have galvanized piping in your home. To convert to PVC you will need a PVC slip to thread coupling. Depending on whether the galvanized fitting is the male end of the pipe, (get a PVC female thread to slip coupling) or a female galvanized fitting, ( Male thread to slip coupling). Just Teflon tape the threads, install the coupling, prime and glue the PVC pipe into the coupling and you're on your way. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Metal Music [ 11 Answers ]

Anyone Metalhead out there to help me with my metal collection? Metal music is a world of it’s own, once you are in it is impossible to escape, you’ve got everything there, the lyrics, the guitars, the drums, the vocals, the album artwork etc… and I just love those metal album covers. I have just...

What song is this? -Metal [ 1 Answers ]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P32ZMUJH I originally heard it on VH1's 'Heavy: The Story of Metal' and asked around, no one knew. Then I heard it again on MTV's 'Real World/Road Rules Challenge' and thought I'd ask again. Thanks a lot.

Metal Basement Duct work change out for PVC [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rectuangular suppluy and return system that feed from from furnace at one end of my basement. It has two main leads out. They branch off and finally reduct to a single duct at the far end of my house. I'm looking to put in a drop celling and would love to swap out my existing duct work...

Metal flange [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet was wobbling from side to side. We removed the toilet and found that they flange was not screwed to the floor. The flange is made out lead. Is there a way to fix the flange without having to remove the floor. Thanks

View more questions Search