Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeus1234 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Extend Lease however Landlord not agreeing
    Extend Lease however Landlord not agreeing

I live in Jersey city, NJ. I had an original lease of a year that I extended for another year, which is coming to an end. I now want to extend by only 3 months as I am moving out of state / country.

However, Landlord is only agreeing to increase rent with a term of 1 year

Please advise, are there any legal laws that prevent him from Evicting us and at the same honor the 3 months term?

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
    The landlord has every right to not agree to a 3 month term, to require another 1 year lease if he wants, and it terminate your tenancy if you don't sign it. And evict if you don't move out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 07:39 PM

Agree, you could offer a much higher rent for 3 months *** which of course is only normal and natural since short term rentals normally have a higher value to them.

So have you offered perhaps a 20 to 30 percent increase in payment for a 3 month term.

Jul 19, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Yes, I have given an option to increase the rent.

Joypulv, there aren't any apt complexes that offer month-to-month rent for new tenants in my area. Also, I have had a tenure of 2.5 years in the current place.

What are my options?

Jul 19, 2011, 06:47 AM
    I have given my landlord an option to increase my rent

Joypulv, I have lived in my current place for 2.5 years. There are no apt complexes in my area that provide a month-to-month lease for new tenants. In addition, I have to leave the country in 4 months

What are my options
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
    I would put 95% of what you own in a storage facility, since you will be packing in 4 months anyway, and live out of a few suitcases until then. Jersey City is pretty big, so I'm sure there are short term efficiencies for rent. If it's just you, you could even look for a roommate situation or rooming house, or make a deal with a B&B for greatly reduced rent, just a bed and bath. If you are working or in school, put ads around the place too. Talk to realtors about month to month in foreclosed properties for sale. It shouldn't be difficult to find a place.

It makes sense that your landlord would turn you down, since it's harder to find tenants Thanksgiving - Christmas.

Jul 19, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have a couple of kids and this probably makes it extremely difficult... so is life in the US...
    Any other ideas would be awesome...
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
    - Call real estate firms, asking about renting foreclosed properties for 4 months (or less).
    - Offer your landlord 6 months rent, and be out in 4. If you've offered a comparable amount already, raise it. (I shouldn't be saying this, but if you were to sign for another year and leave the country, he wouldn't be able to sue you very easily, so he shouldn't look this gift horse in the mouth.)
    - Put signs up in the neighborhood looking for a sublet, someone who wants out of their lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We have a year lease and the landlord is in foeclosure can we break the lease and mov [ 2 Answers ]

We have a year lease and it is not up till April but now the landlord is in foreclosure can we move . We where going to move any way because of plumming problems can we do it with out breaking the lease ?

Landlord able to charge fee on Lease change? (adding a person to lease) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently living with 2 other people in a small house and our lease ends in August. All of us are on the lease. Due to work, I am leaving the space at the beginning of June and therefore am interested in having a different person take my spot for the remaining 3 months. ...

Written Consent to Extend a Lease, FL [ 1 Answers ]

My family and I are currently renting a property in Florida. We signed a year long lease. Our lease expires this month. In August, we asked the Landlord if they would be willing to extend the lease an additional 6 months, so our daughter could finish up the school year before we moved. They...

I was going to extend my lease... [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in the same complex for 3 years. My lease was up in August. I was going to renew my lease for another 12 months. But I never got the lease from my complex (every other year they leave in my door) so I never signed it. I have been paying the price as if I have a 12 year lease so it was...

View more questions Search