Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clites Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2011, 02:50 AM
    Maytag dryer in Europe: how to connect?
    We took our dryer with us to Europe when we moved this spring. It has 240 Volts and I figured it would be fairly easy to hook it up. Well, I was very wrong on that one! I got it to work but it keeps shutting down after a few seconds. I checked inside the door and the label says 120/240 Volt - 60 Hz. Does that mean I need 110V AND 240V??? I only have 230V 60Hz, there is no 120V here. Do I have to 'junk' it?
    Any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks & Greetings from Poland!
    Gary
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 05:39 AM

Do I have to 'junk' it?
    Sorry, but in a word the answer is probably "yes".

You need both 120 volts and 240 volts. In USA we get 240 volts by having two 120V hot lines which are in opposite halves of the cycle. When one line is positive the other is negative. When 240 volts is needed the connection is to the two hots conductors. When 120V is needed the connection is between one hot and the neutral which has no voltage. That is a 120V to "ground " system.
    Europe or at least some parts uses a 240V to ground system. There is 240 volts between the hot and the neutral.

You may be able to purchase a step down transformer but you will need one that provides two 120V outputs which are in opposite halves of the cycle. Your dryer uses 30 amps of current. The transformer, if you can find one, will have to be able to provide that much amperage. Meaning it will most likely have to be hard wired in, not just a plug in type.

You said the service there is 60 Hz or 60 cycles. I suspect that it is really 50 Hz. (Edit: Poland has 50Hz) The Hz or cycles is the number of times the current changes from negative to positive each second.

The difference in cycles will not affect the heating element or lights but I'm not sure what it will do to motors or timers. It may just make them run slower or it may make them over heat. All depends on what type of motors they are.

Don't know how you managed to connect the dryer to test it but you probably put 240 volts on the 120 volt components of the dryer. It may already be damaged.

You need to consult an electrician. While it may be doable it probably will not be cost effective.
    Clites Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2011, 09:11 PM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Thank you for your input! I think you're right, even if it could be done, it's probably more cost efficient to bite the bullet and buy a dryer over here. That's $400.00 I thought I'd save... Well, that's life, was worth a t(d)ry!
    Thanks again!
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Have you tried using a volt meter to see what the voltage is where you are trying to plug in drier? I have done HVAC work in Europe and while it is true in some places you have the 200 volts to ground usually you only need to use a meter to correct any problems. Always use a meter when wiring something to see what you have or you are just guessing. My guess is you are getting under 200 volts. All you need to do is to get 208 -240 on two hot wires to drier and the other neutral. The plug you are using is most likely wired for lower voltage. An electrician there should be able to fix it. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag neptune dryer, MDG6700aww, barely heating. Dryer is only a few months old. [ 6 Answers ]

Maytag neptune, MDG6700aww, is barely even getting luke warm when drying clothes. I have tried changing the temperature and cycle settings and it doesn't make a difference. When I first put the dryer in it worked fine, now in the past month its not even getting "warm". It's a gas dryer.

Maytag dryer Europe 60hrtz in the USA and 50hrtz here [ 11 Answers ]

The dryer is 220v and Have it in Europe where it also 220voltage used. The hertz, though, are 60hrtz in the USA and 50hrtz here. Will the difference in hrtz effect the dryer use? Thanks for you help.

Can I use American Maytag in Europe? [ 1 Answers ]

The electricity in my country is 240volt, 50HZ. I have a washer and dryer from the company Maytag, the model number is MET3800TW1. I connected with a trasformer that reduces the 240volt to 110volt and gives the machiene 2500watts. The washing machiene is working well but the dryer is not...

View more questions Search