Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cribb508 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Rheem Criterion Furnace fan keeps coming on and off constantly with loud noise
    Rheem Criterion Furnace fan keeps coming on and off constantly with a loud noise. Can someone please help me?
    Paul::confused:
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
    What do you mean by constantly? And can you better describe the noise?

Jan 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
    When the fan comes on, it goes on and off, about 5 to 6 times in a row, about a minute between, before it stops and it sounds like a train. It does not heat the air long enogh for it to be effective, until I turn up the thermastat and then it comes on every 15 minutes or so, going on and off until the whole house is overheated.:o
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Bad fan switch. Out of calibration. OR the main orfice could be restricted not allowing the furnace to heat up properly to maintain temp for fan switch to operate properly.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 05:57 PM
    I wonder if the blower motor is going out on thermal overload. This would be the visual sequence if this is the case. Start heat cycle, burners ignite, about 60 seconds later the blower starts, blower runs 1 minute (it over heats and goes out on thermal overload) the burners still run, sometimes they cut off before the fan comes back on again and sometimes they don't. The noise could be bad bearings or the rotor scraping against the stator.

For all to know.
    Good filtration is the best answer to a long lasting blower motor.

Jan 30, 2007, 06:16 PM
    What is the main orfice called? What can I get checked out or replaced?. if this is the case? Thanks Guys :confused:
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 06:21 PM
    There is no main orifice? There is an orifice for each burner. What is the model number? A Criterion is not that old of a model. It has 2-6 burners depending on BTU. Lets say it is a RGRA-100EAMER. It would have 4 burners one orifice each. There is a main limit but no thermal blower control, blower is controlled by a timer built into the PC board.

Jan 30, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Model Number # RGDG-075AUER , 75,000 BTU.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 06:30 PM
    OK, so did you observe the operation? Does it act like I said it might? After the blower turns off unexpectedly, put you hand on the motor, is it to hot to touch?

Jan 31, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Yes you are right,. what should I do about this?;)
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Replace the motor. It has to be a Protech motor because the legs screw onto the motor. You can call local Rheem dealers to see if they will sell you one from there store, or you can pay a service tech to do it for you.

Jan 31, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Thank you Northernheat,. for your time here today. :) I will try this.

Jan 31, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Just to let you know, I did a thoughrow inspection, and it is the inducer motor that keeps going on and off, at the same time the burners ignite. What keeps telling this thing to come on all the time? Its so loud!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Replace the motor.

Jan 31, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Ok thanks you guys,. I think this is a fantastic to get help like this. I support NorthernHeat:) Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Furnace blower loud train like noise [ 20 Answers ]

My furnace blower recently started making a loud, low, steady train like noise every time it comes on. It is not a higher pitched squeek, but more like an engine. It is moving air and the cage is spinning. My furnace is supposed to be a perm lubricated motor. Help! I have the blower motor...

Rheem Furnace Fan Control Center Transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I was replacing my transformer/fan control center for a Rheem Furnace (central Heat/air) and did not label the wires. I am now very confused... I have two sets of contact wires coming out of the relay, one set "no" and the other "nc". And the Primary wires on the transformer... How do I connect...

Rheem Criterion II Startup Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi List, I have a Rheem Criterion II model RGDG-05NAUER (w/ HONEYWELL Chronotherm III) that is acting up. Recently, it was having problem of maintaining the flame constant so I replaced the flame sensor that fixed the problem and now the flame stay lit but the heat sequence seemed to have...

View more questions Search