Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josher831 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
    401 death and cannot find
    My father passed June 2010. His 401 showed only 400 dollars after 15+ years employment. This just cannot be right. He moved money often and was very careful about keeping it well hid. His buddies 401 for same length of employment showed 80k plus on their statements. I just know something isn't right. I believe his contributions were going elsewhere. How do I figure it out??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 06:48 PM

Watch all of his mail for the next year of any statements from other accounts. Check all of his boxes of papers

But he may have taken it out and spent it, many people do that also
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2011, 05:45 AM

If we are referring to a 401(k) account, it is voluntary. So you can't judge by a buddy's account. If you are the executor of your father's estate, you can ask for an accounting from the plan administrator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't remember if I have a 401 k anywhere.How do I find out? [ 1 Answers ]

I know ipaid on a 401 k plan but I don't remember where or when exactly.How do I find out?

If employee dies before paying back 401 k can spouse repay 401 k [ 3 Answers ]

My husband took a loan from his 401K a month or two before he died. The repayment was scheduled through his payroll deductions. Is it advisable for me to repay the loan in full OR can I make monthly payments to the loan as he had been doing OR just continue with the 401K minus what was borrowed?

View more questions Search