Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A.E Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Motion of electron in presence of electric field.
    The electron in an electric field moves towards opposite charge or accelerates upwards towards positive charge.But what will be its direction after it emerges from the field?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 15, 2011, 11:28 AM

I'm assuming that this a homework problem and they gave you the numbers to work with (strength of electric field, the electron's initial velocity and direction, etc). You need to calciulate the force of the electric fieldon the electron, and use F=ma to determine its acceleration while in the electric field. Multiply that acceleration by the amount of time it's subjected to the field and that gives you the change of velocity it experiences while in the field. So the electron started with an initial velocity, and now you've added this new velocity on top of that. If the initial velocity is perpendicular to the electric field, you end up with two perpendicular components ofvelocity, and can use vector addition to find the resulting magnitude and direction. Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Particle moves un-deflected, with uniform motion, through an electric field. [ 3 Answers ]

Question: Explain the circumstances that enable a particle to move un-deflected, with uniform motion, through an electric field, if it is given an initial velocity perpendicular to the electric field. What I have so far: So I know that normally in an electric field which the particle is...

What is trajectory of an electron that enters a uniform electric field at acute angle [ 6 Answers ]

What is trajectory of an electron that enters a uniform electric field at acute angle

What is the electron acceleration in a potential field with 50kV [ 0 Answers ]

What is the kinetic energy of an electron in an typical accelerating potential of 50 kV between between two plates?

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

View more questions Search