Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marie_in_cali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Water refill in toilet tank
    Hello! My problem is: after flushing, the water does not flow back into the refill tube. I shut off the water supply then turn it on again, the water refills. But when I flush again, same problem occurs. What is wrong with my toilet?
    FinkPloyd Posts: 20, Reputation: 7

Jul 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
    This sounds like your valve, inside the toilet tank, is going bad. If you're fairly handy with a wrench, then you should be able to replace it easily. The part will cost you about $10.

Shut off the water to your toilet, remove the part that attaches to the water line going into your toilet tank... and take it to your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or other Hardware store... and install it per the instructions.

I believe that this will take care of your problem.

I think that an expert at your local hardware store will say the same... but just in case, give it a little more time to see if one of the AskMeHelpDesk Plumbing Experts will chime in too.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2011, 01:53 PM
    If you have the older float arm style fill valve, replace it with a float body type. Fink Ployd (I love this) is right $10. If you already have a float body type, you may have dirt in the fill tube orifice. Lift the wire arm, CAREFULLY turn the cap to the left and lift slightly. This will usually clear any debris. Push the cap down and turn right, release the wire. I say carefully because if you lift the cap off, you may find water hitting the ceiling!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2011, 02:41 PM

Please tell us what type of fill valve do you have see the images below.

You may be able to remove the cap and flush out the debris out of the fill valve, to remove the cap you need to close the angle valve under the toilet tank.

To flush out the dirt out from the fill valve, when the cap is removed from the fill valve hold your hand on top of the fill valve; slowly open the angle valve and the water will flow close the angle valve, assemble the cap and test if it working now, if not do as the other experts suggested replace the fill valve it is easy to replace and cheap, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2011, 02:46 PM
    [QUOTE=;][/Let's get you fixed up. Sounds like You have a blockage in the fill tube to the bowl. Which ballcock do you have? (see image) Let's hear bafrom you. Tom
    Sorry Afroo! I posted right on top of you
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2011, 02:58 PM

Welcome Back Tom,

It is my pleasure to see you on, Good Luck.

Best Regards,
    John
    FinkPloyd Posts: 20, Reputation: 7

Jul 14, 2011, 03:45 PM

Marie, we're all talking about the same thing here. Some call it a Ballcock. What we're all saying here is that the thing that sticks up inside of your tank (that is fed by the water line that comes into the tank) needs replaced.

There are a few different types, so it will be important for you to get the right one.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2011, 06:16 PM

FinkPloyd,

Welcome to the plumbing website you have given a very good advice but let’s wait for Marie, probably be able to fix the problem without replacing the fill valve and that will be the last thing to, Thanks.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 07:19 PM

Marie, we are missing a small detail. You say the water does not go down the refill tube which should be stuck in the over flow tube, right? Well does that tank fill during this time?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2011, 11:56 AM

Let's put this thread to bed! Marie, pull the little refill tube off from the ballcock and hold your hand over the open hole. Now give it as flush. Is water squirting out of the open hole?
    If so to have a kink or blockage in the refill tube. If no water from the open hole then you have some trash blocking the opening. We can walk you through the repair but first you must tell us what flavor ballcock you have. Get back with your answer. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in toilet tank won't refill after I replaced ball and cock [ 4 Answers ]

I just replaced the ball and cock mechinism in my toilet tank with the new "modern" Korky quiet fill valve and flapper. Everything works fine except the water does not refill in the tank unless I manually move the fill valve after flushing. Is there something I should be checking in order to have...

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Toilet flushes but water coming out to refill tank is dirty? What happened [ 2 Answers ]

Upstairs bathroom: sounded like it was still flushing(water running) went upstairs and no one was in there so I went to flush it but notice water was dirty in the bowl thinking it was my kids I flushed it and it flushed but dirty water still ended up in the bowl... so I looked in tank and there was...

Toilet tank won't refill with water back on [ 6 Answers ]

I read a post on what to do if my tank won't refill and I'm stuck. I have the 400a refill style (not the kind with the float ball). Very hard water that leaves build up in the tank. I turned off the water under the toilet and flushed to drain the tank, so I could clean the tank. I turned the...

Toilet Tank Refill [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My tolilet tank (cistern) takes a long time to refill, over 5 minutes, the water release to refill the tank is very slow. Any suggestions/resolutions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search