Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2011, 08:47 AM

Hello again,

I don't know WHO has rights here and WHO doesn't. That's why you visit a lawyer. Once you do, and he takes your case, HE decides how to prosecute it. You only need the smarts to find the right lawyer, and let him take it from there...

In terms of fighting for your rights in a small town, or not, after due consideration, I wouldn't care WHAT people thought of me, as long as I thought WELL of myself, and I don't think WELL of myself when I LET my rights get trampled on, and do NOTHING about it.

But, that's just me.

excon
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 14, 2011, 08:48 AM

Bella, so your clinic is ON the reserve? Definitely check out what the "rules" are because your boss may be without any options, and HAS to hire an aboriginal.

Despite all that, I say turn in a brilliant cover letter and resume, and say you want to interview for the permanent position. Be sure to highlight how marvelous you've been to stick there temporarily for the last FOUR years. That=dedication, passion, and experience.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 08:53 AM

Thank you Southy, and I think I have just the cover letter at hand ;)

Yes the clinic is on reserve, and I have done some checking as to hiring rights, and from what I have been told they are not obligated to hire an aboriginal.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 08:55 AM

Exy, I do admire your ability to stand up for yourself, but in this town if you make waves with one company no one will want to hire again. This leave my job opportunities very limited. I have contacted a CR and asked the same questions. I have a wonderful cover letter Southy has helped me compose, and I intend to submit my resume and cover letter once again. Even though I have already been hired and soon to be fired because of my colour.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 08:57 AM

Bella, are you sure you understood your boss correctly or have the full picture. Are they talking about replacing you and putting you out the door or moving you into another position and filling your current one?

What as close as you can remember was actually said? Did your boss say, 'we are finding someone to take your job start looking for a new one' or was it more along the lines of 'the next receptionist we hire should be x'?
    Dogs Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 08:57 AM

Just to clarify, I have temped in this office for the past 4 years, mainly answering phones when receptionist was off sick.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 08:59 AM

I have no other qualifications to work in the clinic so I am not sure where else they would put me unless it was to be a janitor. I am only qualified to do the job they have hired me for, the one they want an aboriginal for.

This is as close as I can get for word to word. Since this company is on reserve and funded by INAC (aboriginal funding) we would like to give an aboriginal the opportunity for this position. Hiring with in the community.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Just to clarify, I have temped in this office for the past 4 years, mainly answering phones when receptionist was off sick.
    Do you even have an employment contract then?

Here's some reading for you: : at will : Employment & Human Rights Law In Canada
    http://www.mcmillan.ca/Upload/McMill...yment_0110.pdf
    But all bets may be off on a reserve.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 10:50 AM

Thanks NK, I'll have a look over it. I guess I already feel defeated. Anyone hiring or want to give me a glowing recommendation? :p
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Thanks NK, I'll have a look over it. I guess I already feel defeated. Anyone hiring or wanna give me a glowing recommendation? :p
    We need a night shift L&D nurse! :p
    Dogs Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 06:07 PM

I'll do it! Lol
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 07:53 PM

I will relate a story that happened some years ago, I was a manager for a department with the US Justice Dept.

I had a opening to fill, ( actually I had an opening to fill three different times) I had one man who worked already within the department and was already trained with experience for the job we were hiring.

First time I had to hire a person because of their sex
    Second time I had to hire a person because of their race
    Third time I had to hire someone due to a "deal with another agency for a problem employee to settle a law"

So three times this great employee already trained was not hired for various reasons
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 01:58 PM

I have to admit that I only read the first 2 pages of posts. Sorry if I'm repeating anything, or totally off topic to where this post may have gone.

Bella, I too am in Canada, as you know.

One thing I've learned in my 25 plus years in the work force, document everything.

I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me. I used to work in insurance, I was a commercial Auto underwriter. Well, the company I worked for bought out another company, and the employees of that company were being integrated into ours. There were two people doing the job I was doing, me, and someone far less qualified. I knew the ins and outs of every position in my section, because I started from the bottom and worked my way up. I did data entry, typing, made the forms on the computer system, and did underwriting. My big mistake, I got pregnant, and I was stupid enough to tell my manager, who told the CEO of the company.

I was actually called into the office and told "We want you, you're the more qualified of the two choices we have, but.....you're pregnant, due in September, and we need someone here for year end in December, so you're getting a severance package instead, and we're letting you go. But, when you're done your maternity leave, call us".

My situation turned out okay. I had Jared, got my 4 months mat leave, got another year of severance (full pay and benefits), and still get calls to this day (almost 13 years later) asking me when I'm coming back.

Still, it was discrimination. I didn't sue because I ended up getting the better end of the deal in the long run.

Document everything Bella. If your boss actually told you that you may loose your job because you're not aboriginal, then that's a reason to sue. Don't sue if you just want to keep your job, because it may end up that you will keep your job, but working for someone you sued, won't end well. Only sue if you want to see justice done, but don't plan on keeping the job after. You would win, but your life at work would be hell.

Just my opinion, and experience.

Love you, and so sorry you're facing this. :(
    Dogs Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Alty. I am going to wait it out a few more days. See this all came to light when I asked when they would be training me on some of the other tasks they told me I would be responsible for. I found it funny that I have been sitting in a back office answering phones bit NOTHING else. I finished the HAST early Monday and eas left literally playing on FB and on AMHD for the rest of the week. I walked around to the rest of the staff asked if there was anything I could do, took initiative by cleaning cages and the exam rooms with out being asked.

I finally asked when I could start weighing the dogs, doing the nails and some of the other tasks and they kept saying "on another day". Then it all (kinda) came out. I don't know what to think, but I am going to see how this week goes and make my decision from there.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2011, 03:51 PM

I really hope it all works out Bella. I know how happy you were to get this job. Heck, this job messed up our visit! I know that only your dream job would have done that. I know how much this job means to you.

I wish I had something to add, something concrete to tell you so you could make sure this doesn't end badly. I can only tell you to document everything. If they come right out and say that you may lose the job because you're white, then you can sue their arses off, but I'd only do that if you actually lose the job.

I know it's hard waiting around for something that may happen. I'd tell them how much this job means to you, and keep doing things to prove your worth, things they don't ask you to do. If you have time during the day, shadow the people that are doing what you want to do. Learn by watching, take the initiative, learn without them training you. Hopefully by showing them that you're a go getter, they won't ask you to go.

Fingers crossed sweetie.

Hugs and love your way. :)
    Dogs Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 08:22 AM

Well I am a bit confused today :s They have me doing pay roll. I don't know what to think. I walked into one of the offices and the two Barbs were talking and then they stopped and waited for me to leave before they continued. Of course they were probably talking about something totally different, but after being told I am going to be replaced is making me a bit uneasy.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 10:59 AM

Political correctness... is just another name for reverse racism.

And racism is still racism no matter what color you paint it... or how you try to justify it.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 11:03 AM

Oh this is definitely reverse discrimination, no way around that. But is it legal, that's the question I am waiting to hear back.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 11:11 AM

Yeah... I know what you are saying... that's why I call it what it really is... racism. They don't like hearing that... because the politically correct crowd think racism is OK and fine as long as they call it something else.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 11:24 PM

Wrong, wrong on so many levels...

You aren't the only one Bella, there's a guy at V's work who is only getting paid $10 an hour (the rest of the boys are on $20) because he is too fat.
    I was livid when I found that out, his weight does not affect his ability to do his job.

There are also about 20 security companies in my state at the moment under investigation for under paying their workers... you know how V's boss dodged the bullet? He doesn't pay employees, he hires them as contractors.

Bottom line is... bosses are a$$holes, they will do anything to make more money, and if he thinks having an aboriginal on the front desk will improve business there's nothing that will stop him. Won't take much for him to say "oh well Bella just wasn't doing her job well enough".
    I'd ask for a GLOWING reference and go elsewhere sweetie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minority Interest [ 3 Answers ]

Please Help here: Minority interest: a. represents ownership of stockholders who own less than 60% of the outstanding stock in a consolidated company. b. represent the rights of nonmajority shareholders to assets and earnings of a consolidated company. c. represents ownership of those...

Is a felon a minority? [ 4 Answers ]

Is a felon a minority?

Am I a minority? [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to this so please bare with me. Are convicted felons considered to be minorities? Thanks

Minority protection [ 1 Answers ]

For a minority shareholder who has suffered a wrong at the hands of the majority to establish a case under the alternative remedy he must show both that he suffered “unfairly prejudicial conduct” and that this was suffered in his capacity as a member of the company. Can anybody help me to...

View more questions Search