Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilmamagen Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Giving up his rights?
    If my ex husband wants to give up his rights to my daughter does someone have to be there to take over his rights or not?? He has not been in her life at all and she is only 18 months old. He wants to give up his rights but not to my soon to be husband unless he has to, so I am trying to find out my options.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
    His rights to his kids? Why would he want to do that?

He would STILL HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT!

Giving up your rights does NOT mean giving up your obligations.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Have you read any of the many threads pertaining to this issue? Generally the only time a bio parent CAN give up their rights is if there is a couple or step parent wanting to adopt.

Relinquishing parental rights does not end parental responsibility. It just means you have no say in how the child will be raised, no visitiation or contact. You still have to pay child support.

Jan 30, 2007, 03:08 PM
    He wants to give up his rights because I don't think that he wants a child... I mean he left her when she was just a mont old... and hasn't been in her life since. From my understanding for him not to pay child support my soon to be husband has to adopt her??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Basically what does it matter if he "gives" up his right or not, you can't force him to be responible and do what a father is suppose to do.

He does not have to visit, the child ever if he does not want to, he can do that by giving up his rights or not.

But I would bet he believes if he gives up his right, he does not have to pay child support, we get people here all the time that believe that.
    So once he finds out he will still have to pay child support, he will most likely see no reason to go to legal cost of giving up rights, since all he has to do is just not visit.

Jan 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Ok... But they passed a new law in Florida that I have to have his permission to move out of the state even if he doesn't live here. Giving up his rights to my daughter would be the best thing. So even if my soon to be husband adopts her my ex would still have to pay child support?? He doesn't want to see her or anything like that but he still wants to have to say so in how I raise her and where I choose to raise her.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 03:23 PM
    If your ex gives up his rights, he has no legal say in how she is raised.

If your soon-to-be husband adopts her, he legally becomes her father, and your ex has no rights or responsibilities to her, including child support.

You should talk to a family lawyer about this.

Jan 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
    OK... Thank you... I have talked to my divorce lawyer about it but he was said the best way is for my soon to be husband to adopt her but I was looking to see if there was an easier way.

Jan 30, 2007, 07:01 PM
    I think you misunderstand the law. The only way I can see you being prevented from moving is if he has visitation rights and moving would me a hardship for him to exercise them. But if he isn't in the state, then he shouldn't be able to prevent you from moving. For your husband to adopt the bio father has to agree to it. But, from what you say that shouldn't be too hard.

Jan 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
    No that's is what my divorce lawyer told me... I have to file a paper that is sent to my ex 30 days in advance then submitted to a judge for me to move out of the state of Florida...

Jan 31, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Sounds to me like you need a new lawyer. I'd have to see the exact wording of such a law to see if your atty is interpreting it properly.
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
    If he give ups he's rights, your husband has the right to then adopt your child and the child be given your husband's name. But I think in doing so, as of the adoption he no longer has to pay child support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 08:09 PM
    He can give up his "rights" anytime he wants, his right to visit, his right to decide things in the child's life. HE can not give up his OBLIGATIONS. Such as paying child support, providing health insurance and the such.

Now if you have a new husband, and they want to adopt the child, if he gives up his rights, the new husband can adopt an then the ex does not have to pay child support any longer..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up Parental Rights [ 10 Answers ]

I live in California and I have been divorced for about 8yrs. My 15yr. Old daughter for the past 2yrs. Has been living with her father. She refuses to have anything to do with me and has told me to get out of her life. I have tried to be in her life and talk about our problems, but it doesn't...

Giving up parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My spouse and I have been married for about 13yrs,but lived together for about 1yr. We have two boys together I have raised and supported due to he serving prison time for about 10 yrs. We never shared any property together. I have supported myself and children. He lives for a girlfriend now for...

Giving up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

My wife lives in Wisconsin and has not let me make any kind of contact to a child she says is mine (the child has my last name due to the marrage), for about two years now I am paying child support but she keeps trying to increase it and I live in another state for reasons due to the wife. I make...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my girlfriend has a little girl by another man. But he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my girlfriend are getting married in April I want to adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the...

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a adopted daughter, her real mom wants to give up parental rights to her. She is 15 yrs old now.If her real mother gives up rights then later down the road the 15 year old wants to go live with her real mom.. Would we have to pay child support to her real mom being she gave up her...

View more questions Search