Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RetardBuggsy Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2011, 03:22 AM
    Star of David..?
    Why do so many people say that the star of David is the same as the Pentagram when they look nothing alike..?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 07:03 AM

I don't know what you mean by 'so many people'. If you are associating the pentragram with sorcery and evil you are incorrect. The pentragram is used as a symbol of faith by the wiccans, same as the cross by christians and the star of david by the jewish.

If it is a five pointed star with a circle, it is the star of david. That is the only difference.

Pentagram and star of david are two different symbols.

Tick
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

Jul 13, 2011, 08:39 AM
    Actually the Star of David is a six pointed star made up of two interlinked triangles, while the pentagram is a five pointed star!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 12:47 PM

Saying the Star of David is the same as a pentagram is like saying that the cross is the same as a Nazi swastika. Nonsense.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 13, 2011, 02:54 PM
    It is true... a lot of people do confuse the two... either switching their origins/meaning to think they are the one and same. These people are ignorant... and that is all there is to that answer.
    Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elscarta View Post
    Actually the Star of David is a six pointed star made up of two interlinked triangles, while the pentagram is a five pointed star!
    Yes I know it is six pointed, my mistake in typing. Thank you.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Jul 13, 2011, 03:12 PM
    If you are associating the pentragram with sorcery and evil you are incorrect. The pentragram is used as a symbol of faith by the wiccans, same as the cross by christians and the star of david by the jewish.
    Actually, Wicca is about the last group of people to have picked it up for use in their religion. While it is a symbol of faith for them, it is certainly not unique to them. The five pointed star has been around for thousands of years. Much like the swastika was adopted, not invented, by the Nazis.
    Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    Actually, Wicca is about the last group of people to have picked it up for use in their religion. While it is a symbol of faith for them, it is certainly not unique to them. The five pointed star has been around for thousands of years. Much like the swastika was adopted, not invented, by the Nazis.
    Actually used by the greeks and the ancient babylonians. Yes I know it was adopted by the wiccans.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 07:27 PM

I do not know of many people who confuse them, I guess it depends on your circle of friends
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Jul 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I do not know of many people who confuse them, I guess it depends on your circle of friends

I guess the reason for the confussion is simply ignorance.

As you rightly say they have no similitude except that they are both geometric shapes representing a five or six- pointed star, although in both cases they should have strokes through the center.

It has already being said that the pentagram can be traced as far back as 3000 years BC, in Mesopotamian papers. And that it has been adopted by Wiccans as a symbol of their faith.

It can also be associated with Freemasonry.

There is also a similar Chinese five-pointed star representation, named “Wu Xing” , which accounts for the 5 elements, i.e. Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood.Gromitt82

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The star the Magi (Wise Men) saw also known as the Star of Bethlehem [ 1 Answers ]

The Magi were more than astrologers they were an actual tribe which dwelt in what we call nowadays Arabia and Iraq. There is also evidence that one "clan" repatriated to Turkey and others dispersed into Syria and western Iran. Not all Magi were astrologers. They were in the land of Parthia or what...

I have a $20 bill that has star after the serial # IK 02286111 green star? [ 0 Answers ]

The $20 bill has #IK 02286111 star green. Under it K11. In the right corner under 20 G366. If you know anything about this please let me know. Thank you for your time.

The Cross, The Cresent, The Star Of David [ 58 Answers ]

These three religions are very similar, in that they worship the same god. They all may have different ways of worshiping the same higher being, but they all agree that is something beyond human understanding that governs life.

Why does the star of David have 6 points ? [ 2 Answers ]

The Jewish star has 6 points whereas the normal star is shown with 5 points

David [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 van and the heater blows out cold air only---along with this the engine revs up very high at idle. I feel these 2 problems are connected. Any advice as to what to check first

View more questions Search