Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budbol Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2011, 03:16 PM
    My 96 neon just stopped working on me while I was driving it. It was running smoothly
    I was driving home from work, and my 96 dodge neon was driving and handling smoothly. Suddenly, the engine just died! When I pulled the car to the side of the road, I waited a few minutes to try to restart it, and it would not restart. Could this be a timing belt issue, and if so, would I have noticed anything different prior to the car stalling?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 04:47 PM

It could easily be a TB issue and end just like what happened to you.

Also, if the TB is fine, check for codes and check all under hood and under dash fuses; particularly, focus on the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor. When you turn the ignition switch to ON, does the Check Engine Light come on for 2 seconds and then go out? During this 2 second interval, can you hear the fuel pump run?
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jul 12, 2011, 05:57 PM

In order to help you, I need more information. When you try to start the engine, does the starter turn it? And if the starter turns it, does the engine sound normal while cranking? You could have a failed fuel pump or just a clogged fuel filter. Usually, if a timing belt breaks (or some of its ribs come off it, allowing a change in valve timng), the engine will sound very odd while cranking it because the four cycles it normally goes though (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust, then repeat), will be upset by the valves not opening and closing in their normal timing relationship.

Jul 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
    The engine does crank normaly when I try to start the car. The crank shaft sensor, and cam shaft position sensor were both replaced.. Crank shaft sensor was replaced about 1 year ago, and the cam shaft position sensor and an o2 sensor were reaplced within the last 5 months.

Jul 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
    Also... I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the ignition. No check engine light came on just before the car died. The check engine light does come on when I turn the ignition, but it goes out after about 2 seconds, and I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on. I am the second owner of this car, and from what I understand, the timing belt was never changed in the car.
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:40 PM

It's looking more like something happened to the TB--should be easy enough to check. Have a friend crank the starter motor, while you remove the oil filler cap and see if the camshaft rotates.

Jul 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
    Thank both for the assistance! I know nothing about repairing a vehicle, and this just through me for a loop because the car actually runs great for it's age! Someone also mentioned a sensor of sorts might cause this when the engine gets too hot? Again, I'm not a mechanic, and aside from putting the key in the ignition, and sarting the car, I know nothing! LOL The car is at the mechanic, and I have been waiting for his diagnosis. I did get a free tow out of this.. Not sure why that was, but I did not argue! LOL Thanks again, your help has been much appreciated!
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:53 PM

Keep us posted.
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2011, 08:35 AM

Tell your mechanic (if he or she is not certain what the problem is), to try spraying a SHORT spray (maybe one to two seconds) of starting fliud into the air intake hose (disconnected) at the air filter output end), and then immediately (as in, having a helper) crank the engine. If it fires at all (even for a second or two), the problem(s) your car has, include lack of adequate fuel delivery. DO NOT use too much (or repeated) applications of starting fluid, or you could do serious internal engine damage! Your problem could be fuel pump (yes, it runs but does it PUMP?), or a fuel pickup problem (screen clogged?) or a pinched fuel line, or a clogged fuel filter. Or perhaps the fuel injectors are not working due to a wiring problem or a controller failure. But if you have NO engine starting using starting fluid, you may have an ignition failure. If the check engine light is coming on for a short time, then going out, that is normal, intended as a circuit check procedure, and does not indicate error codes are present. If you had a sensor failure, it should cause one or more error codes and the check engine light should NOT go off on its own, with the ingnition key on. Of course, if the camshaft is not turning, the engine will not run at all, so that is a critical check!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 917.272352 not running smoothly [ 2 Answers ]

HI! I have a Craftsman 18.5 HP tractor which starts easily then starts dying and revving back up. It will do this many times until it simply dies. New battery and plug. Any ideas? Thanks!

2002 dodge neon, won't shift while driving? [ 8 Answers ]

Have an '02 dodge neon, the check engine light came on yesterday. I checked all fluids under the hood and all are fine. While I was driving it today it would not shift up or down. I pulled up to a red light and it would not go in drive, however it went in reverse fine. I put in park and back into...

My car just died while I was driving it... I have a 2004 dodge neon... HELP [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Dodge Neon and my car just died while I was driving... The check engine light is own and the check oil light is on... the key will turn in the ignition but the car will not crank... HELP!! How much would it cost to take it to the chystler dealership?

DRIVING with neon lights [ 1 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hmmm, this is my first try at this so forgive me if I do it wrong... Does anyone know if it is legal to drive in Southern California with lights on Your under carriage? I have blue neon lights that I can turn on or off under My truck! Thanks for the help!

View more questions Search