Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Is it illegal for an employer to forbid you from working another job?
    I was just watching a TV show, and I know it's not real but I was curious, isn't it against the law for an employer to forbid an employee from working another job?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 12, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Depends on the location, contract and job(s),
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 02:40 PM
    Yes, an employer can restrict you from working another job. Most employers won't care unless that other job negatively impacts your ability to perform your first job, or if the company that hires you for the 2nd job is in competition with your first employer, or if the second job presents a conflict of interest.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 02:50 PM

Ahh OK thank you. That was the issue. They were doctors and they were doing side work, but it was making everyone tired at work so they said they couldn't do it anymore
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 12, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    ahh ok thank you. tht was the issue. they were doctors and they were doing side work, but it was making everyone tired at work so they said they couldnt do it anymore
    Scrubs? When Elliot and Carla are working at the woman's clinic?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 03:03 PM

On TV you can do a lot of things that may or may not be illegal in the real world.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 06:17 PM

Yes scrubs but they were working at a vet clinic
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    yes scrubs but they were working at a vet clinic
    Oh right! I haven't seen Scrubs in a while but it's one of my favorites!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 07:05 PM

All the time,

When I was a police officer you could not work any off duty job without getting their permission first.

Even where I work now, they have to be informed of any other job you are working.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2011, 11:45 AM

I worked for the Feds - I needed permission to work a second job.

Same when I managed a law firm.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 10:47 PM

In the medical field it is VERY common to have two jobs. Many nurses have a full time job at one facility and a PRN (as needed) job at a different facility. I'm actually considering finding a PRN job as it pays dramatically more than a full time position does.

Some ER doctors are also family doctors during the week and moonlight as ER doctors on the nights and/or weekends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex-employer is sabotaging my attempts to get a new job! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, what can I do! After 4 years of being yelled at and basically verbally abused every day, I decided I couldn't take it anymore, even if I needed the money. So I put in my resignation and worked out my last 2 weeks, but now I'm being blacklisted by my ex-boss. I've been trying to find a job...

Can an previous employer stop you from working within so many miles of a new employer [ 8 Answers ]

My contract from my previous employer states that I cannot work for a new employer within Five miles and one year. I am a Veternian applying for a job less than five miles from My previous employer. (Its about 3 1/2 miles)About 2 months times has passed.

Is it illegal for an employer to deduct wages. [ 5 Answers ]

Recently a package wasn't mailed properly and my boss said that since we had to resend the package I had to pay for it:mad: personally or it would be deducted out of my check... can anyone tell me where I can find information on the legality of this situation... I live in an at will employement...

I got a job working for company in Maryland but I will be working in SC at home. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a job working for a company in Maryland, yet I will be working remotely at my home in South Carolina. I will be flying up to Maryland maybe once every month or so for a couple of days to show my face. Will I be filing both SC and MD state taxes. I've never done this before so...

Breaks at job? Illegal? [ 4 Answers ]

I work from ten to four and my boss doesn't give me a break... is there some kid of law that shows that it is illegal to not give breaks or..?

View more questions Search