Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melissa416 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Collection agencies
    I was wondering if there was a way to help pay collections agencies? I have so much debt due to medical bills and need to pay off over $7,000. I'm on a very fixed income & budget & am worried about bankruptcy. I need help. Also, can a collection agency take you to court?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Hello Melissa:

Help? Like what? Donations? Charity? Nahh. There's no help for that.

But there is something you can do, and I'll tell you what it is. You need to expand, and simplify your thinking. You're in an "either/or" situation. Either you find a way to pay it all off, or you find a way to not pay anything. If you stay in the middle, you'll pay, and pay, and pay, and never pay it all, and never improve your credit.

Bankruptcy?? What's to be afraid of?? It's certainly no worse off than you are now, and it DOES have its advantages, like the collections will stop, and you won't have to pay your bills. That ain't bad. The bk will come off your credit report in 10 years. The collections will come off after 7 years. Big deal.

However, depending on your age, your future, and the nature of your very fixed income, you might be judgment proof. It's not a legal term, but it has the same effect. In answer to your last question, YES, collection agencies can take you to court.

But here's the key about your fixed income. If it's SS, or SSDI, in MOST instances, it CAN'T be garnished. So, even if they did sue, and won, they won't collect anything. They're going to know this before they even contemplate suing you, and they're not going to throw their money away chasing you when they know they're not going to get paid. That's the effect of being judgment proof.

I don't know the details of your situation, and the details DO matter.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2007, 07:09 AM
    ANY creditor can take you to court over a debt. The question is whether they will win (to win they simply have to prove you incurred the debt and did not pay it). But getting a judgement doesn't mean they get their money. They have to find some assets of your s that they can legally attach. If you don't have any, that's what excon meant by being judgement proof.

As he also said, we would really need to know a lot more about your situation to advise further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection agencies? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently moved out of an apartment, did the walk through with a leasing agent, she told me everything was ok'd, now I get a call from a collection agency for $522.00 so they can replace the carpet. I heard nothing about it until the man from collections called me. I was never given a copy of...

Beware of Collection agencies [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: I want to pass the word around about the “Credit Bureau of San Luis Obispo & Santa Barbara Counties”. Do fall for this trap; this is a scam collections company. Beware of them threatening you about your credit report and what they will do with it. Report them to the Federal Trade...

Collection agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I Am In Collection Agencies For My Charged Off Accounts If I Start Paying Them Off Will It Show The 3 Major Credit Bureusm My Payments Made To Them For Example I Owe Sears But It Is On Collection How Does It Work? Thank A lot

Talking to Collection Agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I called a collection agengcy that called me. They told me they were taking me to court over a debt that I don't think is mine. I asked them to send me the paper work and they told me I could either settle the debt right now or see them in court. Basically they were trying to scare me but it...

Bankruptcy and Collection Agencies [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I filed CH 7 Bankruptcy in October of 2004 and were discharged in February of 2005. I checked our Credit Reports in October of 2005 and disputed a few of the findings from all three of the Credit Reporting Agencies. I had wanted these credit reporting agencies to put those debts...

View more questions Search