Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    infanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
    Is it [ossible for a Catholic girl to marry Hindu guy in US. Both are Indians
    I am a Christian girl and I want to marry a Hindu guy. We both are Indians who are here on H1B visa. Is it possible for us to get married in US Roman Catholic church without getting converted? Will the marriage be valid? Please share any information related to this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 04:06 AM

No it will not be possible to get married in a roman catholic church. They would want both couples to be of the same religion (or at least both christian). One of the problems your going to face is when / if you have children together your religion can make for extreme tensions in your relationship. How do both your families feel about your possible marriage ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 07:40 AM

In my area you can be married by a Priest if both parties agree to raise the children in the Catholic religion. Yes, the marriage would be valid.

It must vary by Diocese.

If you aren't Catholic (you say you are Christian) do you want to get married in a Catholic Church?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Yes, it is possible to marry a non-Catholic in a Catholic ceremony. Your partner does not have to convert in order to do so, although, you will likely have to make certain agreements i.e. raising the children Catholic.

You could also have a wedding where a Minister will marry two people, and incorporate or use a ceremony that includes both religions. Many couples will have two officials, one of each religion, do the marriage ceremony.

Depending upon where you reside, you could both marry at the courthouse by an official, and that is a perfectly legal wedding too.

So, off the top without knowing anything further about why you are so concerned about how the marriage will actually take place, you can marry a non Catholic.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    Yes, it is possible to marry a non-Catholic in a Catholic ceremony. Your partner does not have to convert in order to do so, although, you will likely have to make certain agreements ie raising the children Catholic.

I don't agree with what is being said here. At a minimum you both need to be christians for a catholic ceramony. He can't be hindu. Marriage is a sacrament in the catholic church.

Ref:

Both partners do not have to be a Catholic in order to be sacramentally married in the Catholic Church, but both must be baptized Christians (and at least one must be a Catholic). Non-Christians cannot receive the sacraments.

Requirements for Marriage in the Catholic Church - Catholic Marriage Requirements
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
    I am a non-Catholic, and married to a Catholic. It is indeed possible- I have the paperwork to prove it :)

Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
    I am a non-Catholic, and married to a Catholic. It is indeed possible- I have the paperwork to prove it :)
    Are you a christian ?
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
    No Cal, I am not.

The OP is only asking if it is possible- I would imagine that rules would vary from place to place somewhat. I did take a Catholic marriage preparation course (which they later invited me to teach to engaged couples), and I had some lively discussions with the Priest, only to know exactly what would be expected of me- as you noted with the sacrements etc.

I chose to, and kept, the promises I made- to raise the children in the Catholic School system, and they both received all their sacraments, and participated in that system. Those were the only requirements made of me, when I decided to marry a Catholic man.

I personally had a choice to convert, which I didn't, and I did not want to, or was required to receive the sacriments. But, it was a very formal large Catholic wedding with all the trimmings.

And, just to add, in six days, is our 35th wedding anniversary.

They let me get married when I was 13. Just kidding!!
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 09:14 AM

13? I figured it out and you would have been 9.

I have a dear friend, Jewish, married to a Catholic in the Catholic Church, raising children Catholic. Of course, I don't know any of the circumstances and the Priest might have looked the other way. Might also vary by Diocese.

I was raised Catholic, married an Orthodox Jew, Priest friend offered to preside if we wanted to "renew" our vows. Of course, "renewing" and "taking" are different things.

35th Wedding Anniversary - congratulations and do you teach "how to stay married" classes?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 09:18 AM
    No Cal, I am not.

The OP is only asking if it is possible- I would imagine that rules would vary from place to place somewhat. I did take a Catholic marriage preparation course (which they later invited me to teach to engaged couples), and I had some lively discussions with the Priest, only to know exactly what would be expected of me- as you noted with the sacrements etc.

I chose to, and kept, the promises I made- to raise the children in the Catholic School system, and they both received all their sacraments, and participated in that system. Those were the only requirements made of me, when I decided to marry a Catholic man.

I personally had a choice to convert, which I didn't, and I did not want to, or was required to receive the sacriments. But, it was a very formal large Catholic wedding with all the trimmings.

And, just to add, in six days, is our 35th wedding anniversary.

They let me get married when I was 13. Just kidding!!!
    I was only asking because of the formality of it. The OP seems to want a full catholic wedding. And according to the research I have done its not possible. Can a wedding take place ? Yes of course. Does it require extremes ? Yes it does. Permission from Bishops etc. And it isn't a reguler catholic sacramental wedding. It is a wedding. But when one of the parties isn't christian then it doesn't extend to the full faith of the catholic church.

Ref:

A Catholic can marry an unbaptized person, but such marriages are natural marriages only; they are not sacramental marriages. The Church, therefore, discourages them and requires a Catholic who wishes to marry an unbaptized person to receive a special dispensation from his or her bishop. Still, if the dispensation is granted, a non-sacramental marriage is valid and can take place inside of a Catholic church.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 09:25 AM

I'm wondering why OP, who doesn't say she is Catholic, wants to get married in the Catholic Church?

Or did I miss something - again.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm wondering why OP, who doesn't say she is Catholic, wants to get married in the Catholic Church?

Or did I miss something - again.
    I think they may have said it with this line "Is it possible for us to get married in US Roman Catholic church without getting converted?" . The understanding is that being Catholic is being Christian and marrying a Hindu. Plus they are both from out of the country (U.S.).

Maybe it is a leap on my part.
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Judy, I think this marriage has lasted so long for many different reasons, but mostly that I'm always right.:)
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2011, 12:27 PM

I'm always right, too. I should be married a VERY long time!

(Your husband is a lucky man. Tell him that the next time you're right.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hindu girl deeply in love with a muslim guy. We both want to marry. [ 12 Answers ]

Hi friends, I am a hindu girl, deeply in love with a muslim guy. We are in relationship since four years. He is working abroad and has planned to settle down there. We want to marry but neither want to hurt our parents nor want the future of our siblings to be in mess. Please give me a way out. We...

In islam how to marry a hindu guy? [ 0 Answers ]

I am also in love with hindu boy from last 5 years and I proposed him. Our love is true and we love deeply each other.he dose not want to changes his religion... but I want to bring him into Islam.I will be doing a great sin against allah.so please help me.

Can hindu girl marry a christian catholic boy? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a Hindu girl and I love a Christian catholic boy. I want to marry him but before that I want to know is there something written regarding not to marry non-Christian in bible? Can I marry him?

Can I marry catholic girl without being converted to catholic? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am hindu boy and my girlfriend is roman catholic we both are from india we have decided to spend our life together, my girlfriend wants to marry in roman catholic church as she said its her marriage with me will not be held valid till she get married in church as per christianity and also...

View more questions Search