Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kula38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 04:40 PM
    I have a Murray circuit breaker panel and want to add a circuit for a 3 prong elec dr
    I have an electric 3 pronged dryer that I want to add a circuit for on my Murray Circuit Panel. What kind of switch do I need?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 05:03 PM

You need a 30 amp double circuit breaker to fit the Murry panel, a receptacle to fit the 3 prong plug and some 10-2 Romex cable.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    You need a 30 amp double circuit breaker to fit the Murry panel, a receptacle to fit the 3 prong plug and some 10-2 Romex cable.
    Sorry HK, but this is completely wrong. :(
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kula38 View Post
    I have an electric 3 pronged dryer that i want to add a circuit for on my Murray Circuit Panel. What kind of switch do i need?
    First off, the cord on the dryer is irrelevant. You match the cord to the circuit, not the other way around.

You need 10/3w/g cable, NOT 10/2. 10/2 used for a 240v circuit will have no neutral and the bare ground CANNOT carry the neutral current.

You will also need a 4-wire dryer receptacle, a new 4-wire cord for the dryer and a BR230 breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add a 30amp to my circuit panel [ 3 Answers ]

How do I determine the size of my circuit panel. I want to add a 30amp plug socket for my RV hookup.

How to add 110 circuit breaker or new sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a 120v 2000 watt hot water heater. This calls for a 25 amp breaker. I only have 1 free 15 amp. Would it be better to replace the breaker or put in a subpanel? I also have my stove connected to a double 30 amp 220. Which route would be best, and could someone explain in detail how to do it....

Reduce/eliminate elec pwr usage by flipping circuit breaker? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if you can reduce/eliminate "standby" electrical power usage of major appliances if you flip off the circuit breaker for them when not in use? I have heard that unplugging appliances reduces the standby power but it can be a hazard unplugging it so many times... Also...

Change Circuit Breaker or add a new one? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 4 outdoor post lamps, each running 180 watts (720 watts total). I would like to connect the wiring to my existing switch attached to the existing patio light (100w). The circuit breaker (15 amp) currently installed is for the existing patio light, as well as many other lights...

Panel Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a four bedroom colonial. The Pacific Electrical Panel is 125amps and 29 circuit breakers of which 3 are not in use. Is it necessary to upgrade the system to 200 amps? I have no problems with it and is seldom overloaded. If I choose to upgrade the panel what is the cost of such a project.

View more questions Search