Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honkesk Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 09:07 AM
    GFCI's, Outlets
    Don't know if you have heard about the floods in North Dakota, but I am one of the unlucky ones, not so, that it was my main home but a cabin that I built. I have Tamper resistant/water resistant outlets outside. I have tamper resistant gfci's inside. Plus just tamper resistant outlets. Are they any good now after sitting in flood waters for a month or so. How about my switches. My 100 amp box may have gotten water to the bottom or a couple inches up into it. The meter was pulled so no electricity was on. Do I dare hook up my generator for cleanup until I am online again? I wired my cabin myself with a lot of help from this site and I passed the inspection the first time, thank God. But now I am lost again...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 9, 2011, 10:56 AM

I would not trust any GFCI that has been under water for any length of time. They range from $11 and up so not cheap to replace them but keep in mind they are a safety feature. Who pulled the meter?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 10, 2011, 04:47 AM

I think I'm with Bob. Never torn a GFI apart to see what's in in there. I would think that its all electronic parts, which wouldn't in themselves be hurt by the water, but it will take forever for the moisture to dry out. The water went in under pressure but I wouldn't think that enough air gets in to let the moisture escape for a long, long time.
    Same thing would apply to other outlets and switches. I would replace all switches and outlets. Same thing for any breakers that may have been under water.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jul 10, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Yes, you need to replace all switches and outlets that have been underwater. It's just not worth the risk. Metal components (screws etc.) will probably be rusted, and debris from the water could be caught in places that could cause a problem. And it is also quite likely that these switches/outlets would short out/no longer work due to the moisture. (I once replaced a nonworking switch twice before finding out that water was leaking into the box and causing it not to work). Probably the same any breakers underwater. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New outlets [ 6 Answers ]

How many outlets per new circuit?

What is the best way to change 2 prong outlets to Three prong outlets? [ 7 Answers ]

Gentlemen, Im getting a bit of mixed info on this subject and am looking for some help. I have an old house (1950's) with 2 prong outlets and They were wired with old 2 wire rag wire with no ground. The house is on slab and has vaulted ceilings throughout with no attic access. I believe I have a...

Would buried outlets affect other nearby outlets ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house that had two buried electrical outlets. These outlets were capped with wire nuts and heavily wrapped with electrical tape. After moving in we realized that there other outlets that share that same wall that were not working.. Would these buried outlets cause a...

All outside outlets are out [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this websight. Have a question about my outside outlets.about 4 months ago I some lights pluged in to one in the back and it started raining. The plug got all wet and my outlet stopped working not only that one but all of them the circurt breaker was not tripped but I reset it...

Gfci's outlet protection for 20 amp circuits [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 100amp service in my garage how many outlets will a gfci protect

View more questions Search