Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bermine37 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 10:27 PM
    If waterproof paint does not keep basement from leaking, what can I try next?
    I tried the waterproof paint on the basement crack that leaks. It doesn't always leak, just in rainy times which we seem to have a lot. What is the next step to keep the basement dry?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jul 8, 2011, 07:28 AM

You need to have the foundation perimeter excavated, have the outer surface sealed and install a drain system that will carry to water away from your basement wall. You could do this yourself but it's a lot of hard work and if you haven't done this before it's easy to make a mistake. I recommend you hire a company with experience. That way you will get a warranty.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 8, 2011, 02:01 PM

First look at your gutters and down spouts. Your down spouts should be piped to carry water as far away from the house as possible. Next look at your grading, does the ground slop away from the house so that you get good rain water run off.

After that you can start considering sealing the crack. It is highly unlikely you will be able to permanently seal from the inside.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
    Paint won't seal a crack if there is water pressure. I'd try some hydraulic cement. Clean out the crack well, chisel an area for grab, wear plastic gloves, mix the hydraulic cement per instructions, pack in the crack and wait. See what happens when it rains. Also follow the other suggestions about drains and sloping.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 12, 2011, 12:24 PM

I agree with ma but would use epoxy or urathane expanding caulk. YouTube - ‪How to Repair Cracks and Leaks in Basement Walls and Floors‬‏

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waterproof paint for shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

Want to clean up shower pan. Its plastic and want to paint it to cover worn areas

I need a waterproof paint for a cedar shower. [ 1 Answers ]

I have two cedar-paneled showers in my summer cottage that look pretty awful. Since the wood is not rotten (just unsightly), I'm hoping to paint over the wood with some kind of waterproof paint. Obviously I need something that can withstand frequent exposure to water, and that can be cleaned with...

Want to re-paint basement floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I want to re-paint my concrete basement floor. The floor is already sealed/painted and in good shape... I just want to change color. Do I need to use the special epoxy paint even though the floor is already sealed and there are no moisture problems? Thanks for your advice!

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Waterproof concrete and block basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need to seal the inside of a basement with block walls and concrete floor. Block and concrete are in good condition. The problem is dampness and minor mildew but not leaks. Walls and floor were painted. Paint on walls is peeling in some areas due to eflourescence underneath. ...

View more questions Search