Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiamarie2008 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Repairs and responsibility
    Hi, I called my landlord and left messages Sunday night, and then again all day on Monday to get someone here to fix my plumbing problems. The problem that I have is the toilet and bathroom sink are backing up into my tub. Now my tub is full of brown crappy water. You can't run any water in the place that I am renting or the toilet will over run and eventually will back up into the tub. Besides which there are minimal repairs that need to be corrected after I had moved in back in Nov. Yet they haven't been corrected nor have I complained about them. But when I call this morn. To see if anyone was coming to take care of my prob. I was told that someone will be here, and it wasn't her responsibility to get someone here because she is handling taxes and there are more important things then taking care of a backed up toilet and it had to be something from within the house that has caused the prob. So when someone does get here I will be billed for their time. Yet here it is almost noon and still no one has showed up and I have to go to my mom's to use the bathroom. Can anyone help

Harman wva
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Were you talking directly to the property owner? If so, you go back to this person and tell her that has the property owner and landlord she is legally responsible for maintaining the property she rents in a livable condition. Tell her that if a plumber is not there to repair the problem that day, you will engage your own plumber and deduct the cost from your rental payments. Follow this up with a letter or fax to that effect.

Then, if she doesn't provide a plumber call one, submit a copy of the bill with your next rent payment to justify the difference.

Jan 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Even if it was my fault, which I truly believe isn/t, And should I be responsible for the costs. No I didn't talk directly to the landlord, because I can never get in touch with him directly, but I did however leave messages on his voice mail and everyone else's voicmail who works there. The person I talked with directly was supposed to be the" legal and collections" person, plus I also talked to the female who supposed to handle these calls but she only works at this facility part time and doesn't come in until 5:00. I did however let them know that this was very unhealthy and unsanitary with me and my 3 children living here with that crap water in the tub and not being able to use the facilities.

Thank you for your help
    Harman wva

Feb 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Landlord scamming me or what
    My landlord gave me a bill today for the amt. of 101.53. $40. For service call, $31.25 for labor, & $30.28 for snake rental. The problem is this, last week. My toilet and tub drains were plugged up, and everything kept backing up into the tub. This happened on a Sunday, problem was corrected on Tuesday. My landlord's people said that I would be billed for the plumbers time to come out if it was anything on my behalf, which I would have no problem with, however when they plumber came to fix the drains I asked her specifically if it was anything that was on my behalf & she said no, she had never seen anything like it was just like a freak type thing that had happened and that the pipes on the trailer seem to be a little smaller than what they normally would have been. But to my belief, I thought the plumbing was the responsibility of the landlord anyway. Then they want to try and say that I owe them $80. For an electric bill & they want me to make a check out directly to them, however I did call the electric co and verified the electric was in my name and that I was being billed for the dates that I should be, which I signed lease on 15 of oct. but place wasn't ready and me and an employee of the landlords did a walk through on the 25th of oct. at 8:00 p.m. whom can verify that I hadn't moved in as of that time. But I asked for copy of what they where wanting me to pay and was declined until I pay what was owed and then I asked for something in writing for the dates that I owe which would be for oct. 26th through nov. 5th because everything else has been paid up to the date. But I can prove on my part if nec. That everything as far as the electric is concerned is taken care of. I also have their message.s saved to my phone where they kept calling me and leaving message.'s saying that I owe 55 for electric and then and hour later they say that I owe them 80 bucks. I know the easiest thing to do would be to move out, but I have 3 kids to take care of and plus I am in college so financially and placement wise I can't afford it nor is there anywhere else for me to go. PLEASE HELP ME OR TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO KEEP THEM OFF MY BACK AND TRYING TO GET MONEY FROM ME EVERY MONTH AND STILL KEEP THE PEACE WITHOUT HAVING TO MOVE CUZ I HAVE NOWERE ELSE TO GO..

HARMAN WEST VIRGINIA
    lawnmower Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
    If you really want them off your back, the only advise I see is move

Feb 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
    I Have No Where Else To Move Too, So What Am I To Do?

Please Help Me Or Give Me Some Advice On What My Rights Are??
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
    There is a lack of communication here between you and the actual landlord. If you have the proof that you say, then let this run its course and prove it in court. Chances are long before it gets to court, someone in authority is going to look at everything and they will realize they have made an error. Unless they can prove their claim, you will not have to pay and the court will not grant the eviction. Keep accurate records. Tape the calls you have on your cell phone. Get the name of the plumber. DO NOT STOP PAYING YOUR RENT! Not paying would be a reason for the eviction to be granted. Be sure to keep receipts for the rent. Do not pay in cash. Use a check or a money order.

Feb 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
    So what are my rights to keep them off my back, because it is really frustrating to be aggrevated every month over something, and for my kids to see me so frustrated and upset. I am a single mom of 3, and I really don't understand the purpose behind this. I feel that I am the only one in this trailer crt. Who is getting this kind of trtmt. at least as far as I know, I know everyone here or grew up with them. Also, can they charge me for the plumbing issue? Plus back in Nov. I had no heat for a week and a half, which I have witnesses to verify and I had spent close to 100. Bucks in kerosene which I never charged, not to mention there are minor repairs here they are supposed to come and fix, yet haven't, and then on top of that my door and locks freeze which either keeps me from getting out or getting in. For ex. On night door lock was frozen and I was locked out of my house at midnight until the next day. I thought about maybe going to the local newspaper and housing authority and anyone else who would listen or can help. Any more suggestions??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Get a signed statement from the plumber that the plumbinng wasn't something caused by you. Put that in your portfolio for documentation. See if there is a consumer affairs dept in your town. Check if a local paper or TV station has a consumer reporter. See if you can enlist them on your side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Repairs [ 1 Answers ]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) My daughter has a 1993 Nissan Sentra 1.6L. On one of our very cold days, her car would not start. Prior to this , the car ran fine! She had it towed to her favorite garage where they diagnosed a timing chain problem! Yes, this model/year does in fact have a chain... I...

Auto repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My 90 Nissan Sentra's brake lites recently quit working,I Ck'ed all fuses,& replaced brake pedal stop lite switch. They still don't work.Anyone have an idea?

Internal repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I am a bookkeeper in a repair shop the employs vehicles that make road repairs. In this instance though, the vehicle needing the repair is our own. We just switched computer systems recently, and this new system requires us to create a full invoice for this kind of transaction. Prior to this,...

Ceiling repairs [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing some remodeling in an old farmhouse. The original ceiling is the lath and plaster. The previous owner then covered it by gluing ceiling tiles directly to the ceiling. My initial intent was to cover the ceiling tiles with a new layer of "blue board" and have it replastered. However my...

Auto repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2.2L. My problem is that the radiator cooling fan cycles on and off numerous times sometimes 5 or 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. It will only remain on for a few seconds at a time. I have replaced the coolant temperatore sensor for the ECU: also the...

View more questions Search