Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 03:24 PM

I don't have much to add today--I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping you have had a chance to check into the Universities in your area.

I'm hoping the Lady intervenes for you, Heather, and that blessings are coming your way to help you fight the numbness.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 03:41 PM

I got to say you must be one tough cookie to even get to where you are through your adversities. I am impressed and hope you do get some help along your journey.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 04:57 PM

I too was thinking about you today Heath. I hope you are doing well. Have you been to the beach yet this summer? I know you always enjoyed looking for lost treasures and beach glass.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 11, 2011, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I only wish I could adopt you so that I could give you my insurance.
    I'm pretty sure I'm too old to be adopted ^_~
    Experts

Jul 11, 2011, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I too was thinking about you today Heath. I hope you are doing well. Have you been to the beach yet this summer? I know you always enjoyed looking for lost treasures and beach glass.
    No, I've been avoiding the sun. after I got a severe sunburn after only being outside for 3 hours, on a very overcast day, I've been trying to minimize my chances of a repeat. I haven't been able to find a higher spf than 50, and it gets annoying to have to reapply every hour when I'm out. I FINALLY stopped peeling from my last sunburn, more than two weeks later.

I might go to the beach late summer, when the uv index has dropped considerably.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 12, 2011, 08:18 AM

Thinking of you.

I think that others here with more experience and knowledge have been able to point you in the right direction so all I want to offer is my thoughts and well wishes. Know that you're on my mind Heath <3
    Experts

Jul 13, 2011, 03:53 PM

How would I go about contacting a college psych department to see if they can/will help? How would I phrase it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    how would i go about contacting a college psych department to see if they can/will help? how would i phrase it?
    I graduated from a grad program that had volunteer clients from the community. Call the dean's office or the psych department chairman's office and ask them if it is possible to obtain free counseling as a volunteer client through their psych program.
    Experts

Jul 13, 2011, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I graduated from a grad program that had volunteer clients from the community. Call the dean's office or the psych department chairman's office and ask them if it is possible to obtain free counseling as a volunteer client through their psych program.
    Will that work when they don't have a grad program? The highest degree the local campus offers is bachelor.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    will that work when they don't have a grad program? the highest degree the local campus offers is bachelor.
    The undergrads used volunteer clients too in a couple of classes. I had gone to a chiropractic college clinic here in town and had been a volunteer patient. My student chiro changed every three months or so as he finished the particular class and new students took the class, so you would get a new counselor every few months. It should be pretty seamless, though. The same professor would be overseeing your case, and each student keeps case notes that the new counselor would review. We never got any complaints from our clients who were fully aware of the system in place.

If, for some reason, the college says they can't help you, be sure to ask where you could get counseling. Is there another college in the area?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 04:39 PM

I'm still wondering why you can't go through the hospital ER, ask for a social worker, and get into their mental health department's counseling system. Your age and financial situation and lack of insurance shouldn't disqualify you.
    Experts

Jul 13, 2011, 06:03 PM

I don't qualify for in-patient care, and they don't provide out-patient care. They referred me to a psych practice in town, which is how I ended up with the 15 minutes every six weeks and pointless meds.

There just aren't resources in this county, and I don't have the ability to go out of the county, or even out of the city.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2011, 03:36 PM

Hi Heath, hope your still on the path to making yourself feel better :)

Just wondering if you've managed had any luck with searching for a counsellor from your local college or if they could point you in a direction where you might find one?

I know your acces to the internet is limited at the moment, but like everyone else here, your in my thoughts and just hoping you'll get to that point where you'll look back on this point and see how far you've come :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emotionally I'm numb [ 5 Answers ]

I met this guy after a ten yr abusive bad relationship. I never thought id meet someone that was the total opposite. I was so happy. We never made anything officail but just being together all the time everyday I fell in love and obviously the feelings were not mutual. The situation was diff he had...

Why is my hernia is numb? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had hernia surgery, and I've had a staph infection from it, and now I have another hernia, and it's gotten huge, and they won't do anything about the other until this one is healed. The spot where my new hernia is, is completely numb, I cannot feel anything in that spot. Is this normal?

My tongue is numb! [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 34 year old women, and for the past 2 or 3 days my tongue has been really numb. I have no idea why and its not affecting anything like my taste or voice but I want to know why my tongue is numb and what causes it?

I'm Numb [ 5 Answers ]

I just came back from the dentist. Are there any ways to wear off numbness quicker?

Why do I go numb? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all, I've just found this site and have spent a goodly time reading the previous pages. I'm curious to see if I can gain some insight into my current relationship 'issues', so here's the breakdown: I met this girl about a month and a half ago, and was immediately smitten. The first 15...

View more questions Search