Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    battyg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 02:14 PM
    Circuit Breaker trips when system is turned on.
    Just had annual maintenance, so a bit suspicious... Have a heat pump in the attic, and an A/C unit outside. Since service call, when the system is turned on at the thermostat, the circuit breaker trips after a few minutes. Heat pump continues to run.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 02:56 PM

Do you mean you have a heat pump with an air handler in the attic?
    Do you mean that the circuit breaker to the air handler in the attic trips when system comes on?

If so either call technician back, or go up to the attic and open air handler. Look for bare wire, pinched wire or missing wire nut in high voltage wiring between relay and fan. Should be pretty obvious.
    battyg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Thanks. Yes, heat pump/air handler in the attic and central A/C unit outside. Circuit breaker to the A/C unit trips. Main GFCI is also tripping, but not every time the breaker trips. My electrician is coming tomorrow. Since he doesn't normally work on A/C units, it will be helpful for him to have some things to look for.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 13, 2011, 01:22 PM
    Have the same service people back and ask them what they did to your unit.
    awassa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Hui

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker trips because two bathrooms and master bedroom on same circuit [ 6 Answers ]

Some electrician committed a blunder in my opinion about 17 years ago. The master bedroom and two full bathrooms are all on the same circuit. If two hair dryers are used at the same time, it will trip the breaker every time. In figuring out what amperage would be required for two hair dryers and...

Ac trips circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the ac, it trips the circuit breaker and the outside fan does not turn. The furnace comes on and air warm air comes through the register. Is this an ac problem or a circuit breaker problem?

New GFI Circuit Breaker trips [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a GFI circuit from my breaker box and am faulting. I'm confident that I installed the breaker correctly with the breaker pigtail going to the power return bus and the black and white wires going to the correct terminals. If I operate the breaker without the earth grd connected it...

Circuit breaker trips constantly [ 2 Answers ]

After eight years in the house without any problems now the oven circuit breaker keeps tripping as soon as the oven is above about 250 C. I turn off everything else that might be on this circuit and still the problem exists. Help!

View more questions Search