Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrie toudle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2011, 05:28 AM
    Refregator/freezer ge
    Ice builds up on the wall have to defrost one a week this pass week defrost for two days plugged back up so far its fine but will not give ice is it the mother board are do I need a new one
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 10:13 AM
    You have a failure in the defrost system. To diagnose it you need to thoroughly defrost the freezer and remove panel covering coils in freezer after unplugging unit. Use an ohm meter to test the defrost heater. Sometimes you can see if the heater is burned in two. There is a defrost t-stat that is attached to one of the wires that supplies power to the defrost heater. Unplug it and carefully remove it from the coil. Be very careful as the coil can easily be punctured or the capillary tube supplying freon to coil can be broken if you pull on it or bend it too sharply. This will ruin your refrigerator, so be very careful. Take terminator and freeze in another freezer and use an ohm meter to test it for continuity. The switch inside should close at about 32°F. Sometimes there are three-wire switches where one wire feeds the fan in the freezer. That switch closes at about 20°F. Make sure to test the fan to see if it works by testing continuity unless you know it works. If heater is burned out you need to replace it very carefully and it is advisable to replace defrost terminator as well since it usually goes bad about the same time as the heater. I do not know what kind of timer you have, but if it is an electronic refrigerator it is in the electronic circuit board and failure is rare. Hope this helps. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag side by side fridge freezer build up of ice at bottom of freezer at the back [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed puddle of water on the floor underneath the freezer so checking where it is coming from I noticed a build up of ice at the back of the freezer at the bottom and realised the water was coming from that. Has anyone had this problem and is there a solution

GE icemaker in freezer is squirting water inside the freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE side by side refrigerator with the ice and water in the door. My filter was clogged for about a week causing both the ice and water to stop working. A friend of mine came over and shook the ice bin quite violently trying to get the last bit of ice loosened up. A few days later we...

Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator: fridge not cold, freezer is frosty! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a slightly over a year old Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator (model #: ABR1922FES). Yesterday, I noticed that the fridge wasn't as cold as it should be, so I turned the temp control cooler, and then, as per the owner's manual, waited 24 hours for it to kick in. It didn't....

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

Freezer leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a side-by-side fridge/freezer and the freezer side is leaking onto the floor. It isn't that much water but I imagine some drain is clogged? The front of the freezer dispenses water and ice from the outside but I don't believe it is coming from there. It is coming from inside. Any ideas...

View more questions Search