Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjohnsonishere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Can propane company shut off my tank over billing dispute if I own the tank?
    I own my tank. I have a billing dispute with my supplier and they threatened to shutoff my tank. Can they do this legally, if I am the owner of the tank?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2011, 05:23 PM

Where, and are they citing safety issues?

Why are they shutting off the tank? To somehow force you to pay for the propane.

Tell them they cannot enter upon your property or they will be charged with trespass and (if they shut the tank off) criminal mischief.

Of course, good luck trying to find another propane supplier.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
    You may have signed a contract allowing them access to the tank and also the right to withdraw propane that is not paid for. What does it say?
    If you have a dispute over the bill, get to small claims ASAP.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 06:58 PM

The issue is that unless you paid for it, they own the gas in the tank.

What they can or can't do will be in the contract for the services

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am switching Propane Gas suppliers and need the underground propane tank removed [ 2 Answers ]

We built our house in 2000 and siged an agreement with AGWAY to supply us Propane and they agreed to provide us an underground tank for free if we purchase gas from them for (1) year. AGWAY is no longer in business and was bought out by SUBURBANE PROPANE. When we questioned SUBURBANE about our...

Ny law, can I charge propane company for leaving tank? [ 2 Answers ]

We changed propane companies from Amerigas about a year ago. We called repeatedly, wrote letters and always got the same answer; "we will pick the tank up (200gal.) in 2 weeks. The tank has propane in it that was to be credited back to us. We are planning a building project and the tank which has...

Can a propane company legally charge you to remove their tank? [ 2 Answers ]

I am swithching propane companies. Our current tank is owned by the original propane co. we were using. Can they legally charge me to remove their tank?

Propane Tank [ 3 Answers ]

Help please I just got our 30 pound propane tank filled at Mohawk and nothing will come out of it when hooked back up to the barbecue. What could be wrong. What if anything can we do with it? Or about it I am a little afraid of propane tanks at the best of times Thanks for your assistance. Karen

Propane tank [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a house that the propane tank has no company name on it. Is there any way I can find out who owns a white tank with a black x on it. I need help. Another company said the can change it with large fee.:(

View more questions Search