Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jennychang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
    What causes the crack on the basement wall after reconstruction?
    Hi, My house is being rebuilt after the fire. The engineer suggest save the main floor joists, however the builder removed them in February and make the basement open up to the severe winter and heavy snow. In late April, after the builder finishing framing, I found there were full of snow and ice on the basement floor and wall, cracks and swollen on the floor, later the cracks and water seepage on the wall. I think the damage might caused by the builder, but they denied. Is it possible the unnecessary removal of the joist and their negligence for the cleaning lead to the crack on the basement wall?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 7, 2011, 06:34 AM

You need to consult a independent building engineer. What type of basement walls do you have, poured concrete of cement block.
    In my opinion, and I am not an expert, a fire would damage block walls. When building my home I destroyed the old house by having the fire department burn it . After the fire I pulled the basement block walls down with my hands.

With that being said the floor joist which are attached to the basement walls and run from from wall to wall provide resistance to the soil and water pressure on the exterior surface of basement walls. In other words the floor joist provide bracing between the walls. Water is the primary force on the exterior walls, not soil. During construction you back fill the soil only about half way until l the floor joist are installed.

Walls weakened by the fire could be the cause. If you had lots of moisture in the ground the lack of floor joist could be the cause of cracking walls.

Invest in the cost of independent, certified building engineer now. You may have claim against the insurance company or you may have claim against the builder. Might want to seek legal council also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement wall crack [ 2 Answers ]

We have a crack in the basement wall at the gas meter location. And water is getting through to the laundry room. I called a contractor he priced the repairs for 1200$ just for the one crack and said epoxy is no longer used. Can you let me know what needs to be done and if 1200$ is the right...

Crack in basement wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have a crack in my basement wall and water is visible leaking through from the outside. I want to know the proper procedure to fix this myself. What type of sealant do you recommend. I do believe you have to v out the crack before you plug it. Is this correct.

Crack in wall [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 40 year old modular home and I seem to have reacurring cracks forming underneath them. What is going on and how can I fix this problem?

Fixing crack on inside wall [ 6 Answers ]

There is a 2 feet long paint-cracking on the wall along stairs down to basement. Should I just paint again to cover the crack? Or chang board? Or some approach better?

Crack in wall sheetrock [ 5 Answers ]

We have a conventional foundation in a house built in 2001. There is now a 12-18 inch crack in the sheetrock ( very small, not deep) that goes from the top of a window sill at a 90 degree angle toward the ceiling. The outside of the house shows no cracks. Should I be concerned? Thanks a bunch for...

View more questions Search