Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dronit Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 04:03 AM
    Why does the Us not have a national health service?
    Most contrys offer free health services, even poorer contrys then the US why don't they provide say a UK equvilant to the NHS?

I read that the new presidant obarma wanted to push the idear of health service but didn't go down well with the general working people in the US?

Why is this.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 6, 2011, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dronit View Post
    Most contrys offer free health services, even poorer contrys then the US why don't they provide say a UK equvilant to the NHS?

I read that the new presidant obarma wanted to push the idear of health service but didn't go down well with the general working people in the US?

Why is this.
    Unless there is some kind of collective commitment to protect the most vulnerable people in society then you will find there are all types of excuses put forward as to why such a commitment is not possible.

Why Doesn't America Have Universal Comprehensive Health Care?

The types of arguments put forward by those opposed to universal health care usually take the form of a 'trickle down' argument. Basically, those who can't afford health care can make do on generosity.

Tut
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 04:38 AM

Just for the record, dronit, let me give you a little background on Canada's socialized medicine which isn't FREE. Ever since Tommy Douglas designed and initiated the system, Canadians had a deduction from their pay checks to cover OHIIP expenses in Ontario, when the government redesigned the system, deductions were not taken out of employee pay checks, but employers would make a contribution. So you see, it isn't FREE.

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 04:45 AM

It's not FREE. You see, other places have higher costs of living, higher taxes, etc. to pay for the so-called free health care, but in the end you still pay for it.

Jul 6, 2011, 04:57 AM
    I don't pay for it. I don't work in the UK but am on a large list of persciption drugs for free. Such as Subutex, ramipril and fluotiean. I have also had heart sergery when I was a child for free.

Yeas the Nhs does take monet form the government which comes from taxes but whether you work or not every one gets the same medical treatment.

The US spends over 600 billion per year on funding war but spend 0 on health care.

Does this seem wrong

Jul 6, 2011, 04:59 AM
    If you don't work should you be intiteled to the same health care?
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:02 AM
    If you don't work should you be intiteled to the same health care?
    It's called Medicaid and you have to qualify for it.

Jul 6, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    What do you need to qualify for it? Shouldn't everyone have the same?
    In the UK and many other contrys have this and the cost of living is no higher, may be because those contrys spend more on health care then the army and war.

Jul 6, 2011, 05:15 AM
    Country 2010 Spending ($ b.) Share of 2010 GDP (%) World Share (%)
    — World Total 1 630 2.6 100
    1 United States 698 4.8 42.8
    2 Chinaa 119 2.1 7.3
    3 United Kingdom 59.6 2.7 3.7
    4 France 59.3 2.3 3.6
    5 Russiaa 58.7 4.0 3.6
    6 Japan 54.5 1.0 3.3
    7 Germany 45.2 1.3 2.8
    8 Saudi Arabiab 45.2 10.4 2.8
    9 India 41.3 2.7 2.5
    10 Italy 37.0 1.8 2.3
    11 Brazil 33.5 1.6 2.1
    12 South Korea 27.6 2.8 1.7
    13 Australia 24.0 2.0 1.5
    14 Canada 22.8 1.5 1.4
    15 Turkey 17.5 2.4 1.1

This is a table showing what contrys spend what on there military budget. Notice that the US spends over 500 billion $ then any other contrys. But stll offer no health care does any one else find the figures a little sick and scarey?
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 06:22 AM

This is a table showing what contrys spend what on there military budget. Notice that the US spends over 500 billion $ then any other contrys. But stll offer no health care does any one else find the figures a little sick and scarey?
    Now I see where you are going with this thread. Your agenda isn't just about healthcare then? Sure, when you put it that way, it is scary. I am just glad our Canadian troops are home now from Afganistan and we can forget about the 'Highway of Heroes' designation for the 401.

Tick
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 6, 2011, 06:28 AM

Good thing for you that you don't live in the US, then.

There's a lot of things we Americans wish our government would spend its money on rather than defense - like education.
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 06:30 AM

Personally I'm proud we spend our money on the military. I feel safer and my sons who are in the military can support their children.

Jul 6, 2011, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Personally I'm proud we spend our money on the military. I feel safer and my sons who are in the military can support their children.
    Absolutely. We are criticized and we criticize ourselves for our military spending - but I wonder what the same people would say if we didn't have such a strong military?

I was actually going to go off onto a much larger, complex rant in my earlier post... but decided to leave it at my first point.

While I am proud of my country, and proud of our servicemen... I would like to see more money in education :)
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    Absolutely. We are criticized and we criticize ourselves for our military spending - but I wonder what the same people would say if we didn't have such a strong military?

I was actually going to go off onto a much larger, complex rant in my earlier post...but decided to leave it at my first point.

While I am proud of my country, and proud of our servicemen...I would like to see more money in education :)
    I would like to see money in education as well. I mean, really, if it weren't for teachers we wouldn't have doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc.

The future starts with parents and teachers.

Jul 6, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    You are proud that you spend 600 billion per year? The only wars you have are in the middle east to protect your oil interests.

More should be spent on education and health vare for me that what makes me proud to be a british citisen.

600 billion? Does that sicken you or make you proud. Don't forget your contry the only one to drop the atomic bomb - not just once but twice while you make out pear harbor was one of the biggest disasters in the world - that and 9/11. Doesn't really add up to me and most the world. Americans live in ignerenace, wake up and look what's happening in the world.

There never was wepons of mass destruction, but amricans fed us lies to justifie a war for there own interest.

600 billion think about this / are you still proud?
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 07:08 AM

Hi donf, UK as well as Canada has one of the best educations systems. The UK always has had that. Canada and UK doesn't have to spend more on healthcare. If it wasn't for the healtchare system in Ontario, as a diabetic I wouldn't have good treatment options and my meds, after turning 65, were $6. each per prescription. When I first started working at l8, I paid into OHIP through employee deductions. That enabled others like me to have access to a good healthcare system. Immigrants first arriving in Canada are also given these options.

I don't mind your opinions, everyone has a right, and this is an open site and we are all open minded people I hope.

I do wish though you would try to spell better, even though english is not your first language :)

Tick

Jul 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
    Comment on J_9's post
    Also you should be proud that your son is in the militry fighting for his contry It is very brave of him and I give him the up most respect. My only worrie is if the wars we are fighting are just.

I have no problems with the army, just the government which sees war as more inportant then health and education.

AS religos people do you not agree. If we are all open minded people then why is the US and the UK going into these wars to change the politics in the contry. It isn't about dictaors or wepons of mass destruction it is about the western world having there input into the middle east. There are plenty of dictators and mass human destruction in some african coontrys but no intervention has been used because it doesn't interest the west.
    Hiphocrasy. Sorry about the spelling but I think you can still read my points.

Jul 6, 2011, 03:59 PM

AMHD is not solely populated with religious people. And there are no two people here with identical beliefs.

I have no further comments on military or healthcare spending. Southamerica out.
    Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    AMHD is not solely populated with religious people. And there are no two people here with identical beliefs.

I have no further comments on military or healthcare spending. Southamerica out.
    Yes, me too, tick over and out...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2011, 05:03 PM

AS religos people do you not agree.
    Who are you talking to? Which religious people? This is a worldwide site, we have Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Atheists, Wiccans, Deists, Agnostics, you name it.

So, which religious people are you referring to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Abortions and national health care [ 21 Answers ]

Interesting question about abortions . We have been told that they are rights for any women who wants them ,that the government has no business denying the right. While health care is also presumably a right ;but a right that can be rationed. Time Magazine asks if abortions will be covered...

Air National Guard, good move for prior service? [ 1 Answers ]

Former active duty USAF enlisted troop here, seriously considering the ANG as an option for returning to service and eventual commission as a technical officer. Recently learned that I have exceeded the age limit to return to active service (cut off is 28), and that I may not have time to...

Health Insurance and day care service [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for health insurance to benefit my family needs, such as elderly insurance that I could cover on the job and a business that offers child care as part of the job service.

View more questions Search