Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Valetta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Belly peircing
    Hi,

I got my peircing done around November, I cleaned it 3 times a day but this month I have just stopped cleaning it , I might only clean it once in about 2 weeks. I was told that if you clean it a lot you're weakening the tissue around the peircing which invites more bacteria. Do you think by me not cleaning it will help in the healing process..
    stripepanther1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Personally... I don't trust those cleaning substances after my bad experiences with my basic starter ears... they constantly got infected for 1 1/2 yrs...
    After that I just left my other piercings alone... never had a problem
    But hey... that might not work with you so...
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 05:07 PM
    This is quite an old post and I know the OP will probably never look at it again, but for the purpose of people having the same question, maybe this will help.

You are absolutely correct. Overcleaning does interrupt the healing process of your piercing. Every time you clean it, play with it, change the jewelry too early, etc. you interrupt the healing process. Piercings need to be left alone as much as possible in order to ensure a fairly quick healing time.

Also, the overuse of salt water soaks interrupts the healing process as well. I do not recommend salt water at all, but if you must use it, keep its use to a minimum. Salt is very drying and irritating to your piercing and the skin around it. The more you irritate your piercing, the longer it is going to take to heal. I just recommend using plain old anti-bacterial soap.
    annie_20 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 09:26 PM
    I used to ask that question A lot till some one told me this!!

Soft Tissue Aftercare (Navel, eyebrow)

What you need to do:

1. Using a liquid or glycerine-based soap, such as Softsoap, work up a good lather and apply it to the area.

2. Gently work the soap and water lather through the piercing by rotating the ring through the piercing back and forth about 1/2 dozen times.

3. Rinse the soap out of the piercing by turning fresh warm water through the piercing in the same manner. In the shower is usually the easiest place to clean your new piercing.

4. Pat the area dry and apply an antibiotic ointment, such a Polysporin or Neosporin (make sure it's the ointment) to the ring and work it through the piercing.

5. When it glides easily, remove the excess ointment as it dries out and causes crusties.

This whole process should take only a few minutes.

For how long:

1. For the first 2 days, clean the piercing twice a day, morning and night.

2. Then begin to gradually wean off the cleanings, what we like to call getting lazy, by skipping random cleanings.

3. By the 8th day, you should be down to once a day.

4. Continue getting lazy, so that by the time 2-2 1/2 weeks have passed, you have completed the cleanings.

5. At this point, do not turn the ring at all, not even when you are in the shower.

Note: Antibiotic ointment should be used only for the first 2 days after using the soap and water. It is not necessary after the first 48 hours and will not heal your piercing for you, nor is it strong enough to treat an infection.

Key Points:

1. Overcleaning can be a serious problem. More is not better. It can irritate and dry out the tissues supporting the jewellery. Symptoms of overcleaning are most commonly redness, dry skin (whiteness), and itchiness.

2. DO NOT GET OBESSED with cleaning.

3. If the margins of your piercing look dry, back off the cleaning a little sooner, and feel free to moisturize the tissues surrounding the piercing. We use St. Ives.

4. Try to avoid anything that causes pressure, such as sleeping on it.

5. Above all, DO NOT TOUCH your piercing unless it is absolutely necessary and you have clean hands.
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Feb 13, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Wow I must be lucky, I have 2 piercings, eyebrow and rim of ear. Neither have ever been infected or painful at all and I only persisted with cleaning them for about a week if that then gave up... I've had them both for at least 2 years now
    annie_20 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 07:34 AM
    I want to get my eye brow pierced but I'm scared so never did, I got my belly pierced and cried like a baby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly piercing [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I got my belly pierced and when I clean it and every thing it still feels like there is soap in it or the salt water but I rinsh it really good so I don't no and I'm getting kind a scared I only hade it picered 4 days.I think it is healing really good though how long should I clean it for?I...

A Peircing Question [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Well good news is I got a job today. Bad news is I'm not allowed to present any visible facial piercings on the job.. My question is simple I have had my lip pierced for two months.

Big Belly Problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Big belly which grown up gradually in a couple of years. How can I reduce it and bring it to normal size?

Peircing Parlors... [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any well known, great going peircing parlors in the Dallas Fort worth area? I want a parlor that is nice, keept up with well, decent prices, and takes the proper precausions Any information is helpful.

Beer belly :( [ 3 Answers ]

I weigh 185lbs and I have been working out for a month now (running and bicyling).. I have lost fat around the chest and weight is coming off my thighs.. However my belly is being stubborn... Fat is sticking to my stomach (specially around the belly button) and it makes it look like a spare tire!...

View more questions Search