Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taylor_d Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
    Extraordinary SignOn Relocation Benefit Repayment Question
    The usual situation: leaving before 12 months, and the company wants me to repay the signon bonus, and the relocation benefits. Tricky part: the contract doesn't specify WHEN I, employee, would be required to pay back such amounts. Will such a contract be enforceable? They're on the verge of taking me to court. I know that based on the contract I simply owe them the relocation/bonus amounts. I do NOT owe them these amounts by any certain date. 2011? 2050, the year 5000. Basically whenever I feel like it. I know the contract is completely broken without this, but I'm curious whether this will work in court. Would a judge say that the contract without a timeframe on the repayment doesn't mandate the repayment at all? Would the judge just slap me and say, well, reasonably, if you owe it (which the contract says), then you owe it within 60 days or some arbit number? In very simple terms, a friend loaned me $100 without specifying when I had to pay it back, and I said, "I will pay you back". But I never said when.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor_d View Post
    ...I do NOT owe them these amounts by any certain date. 2011? 2050, the year 5000. Basically whenever I feel like it. I know the contract is completely broken without this, but I'm curious whether this will work in court. Would a judge say that the contract without a timeframe on the repayment doesn't mandate the repayment at all? Would the judge just slap me and say, well, reasonably, if you owe it (which the contract says), then you owe it within 60 days or some arbit number? ...
    The judge will enter a judgment for the money plus interest at the statutory rate. You will not be ordered to pay, or at any specific time. It is up to the judgment creditor to collect the judgment whenever it can.

Quote Originally Posted by taylor_d View Post
    ... In very simple terms, a friend loaned me $100 without specifying when I had to pay it back, and I said, "I will pay you back". But I never said when.
    You're posing a hypothetical question here. The answer would be that the loan is payable on demand.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:26 PM

The judge will most likely use the assumption that it is due and payable at the time of the breach, This is a penalty for a breach of contract and as such is an amount that becomes due when there is a breach.

If they sue in court, the judge merely awards them a judgement, The judgement allows the company to collect by any legal means anytime they can find the funds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocation repayment? [ 2 Answers ]

I left the company and I have to repay the relocation expense paid by them. 1) Company has hired some moving company and in the moving expense they have included the amount paid to that moving company. Will I have to pay back the amount paid to moving company for their services, which the...

Relocation repayment [ 10 Answers ]

My son has worked for a company in engineering for a year. He is being considered for a job in another state (engineering) and had the final interview yesterday. Today he got a note from the company that relocated him (a year ago) stating that they need him to sign a paper that says he agrees...

Relocation Bonus Repayment after taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I received 10K for relocation when I started with a company. I agreed to work for 24 months in exchange for this. However, after taxes were taken out, I only received 6500. Now after 8 months I am leaving the company. They would like 6600 hundred in return. The agreement was for a prorated...

Relocation Repayment - Leaving Company [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I accepted a job offer that offered relocation reimbursement. However, my offer stated that if I left the company before three years I had to pay it back. When I filed my taxes the relocation money showed up on there but now that I am leaving they want me to give them a check for the full...

Relocation package repayment [ 2 Answers ]

I recently quit my job because I was expecting to get laid off or fired because our department was losing contracts, we were overmanned, and I was the newest employee. I had just finished training and was told I should find a permanent position in another department which is not what I was hired...

View more questions Search